BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i am very new to bmw's, and mine is now very poorly on my drive...
it was over-heating, and eventually stopped, whilst over-heating it was "blowing" the bleed screw out of the rad, and the water pipes off the front of the engine, now there is water in the spark plugs, and when we can get it started, it is still building pressure in the water system, there has never been heat inside the car, and is now blowing out water from the exhaust, also emmiting a lovely thick white smoke/steam from the exhaust too!!
so now for the strange bit....what wrong?? head gasket?? helllpp!!
i want to get it running again, and am not sure if i have the abilities to do it, would anyone be willing/able to do it (obviously not free!! lol)
please help....i am not sure what engine is in it!! and have tried everywhere to get a manual, but all i keep getting told is that the manual does not cover the "compact" version!!! lol

many thanks

connie xx :confused

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Really sorry to tell you this but it is a classic sign of a cracked cylinder head.
I got hold of one last summer with the same fault.
Cheapest way to fix is put in a second hand engine. Its easier to do that than put a second hand head on it :frown

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Very much sounds like a serious headgasket failure or cracked head. If you never have had heat then that was your first sign of problems, especially if you hadn't checked the water level.

The engine in your car is a M43 engine. A Bentley or Haynes manual covers the M43 engine, take no notice of the Compact not covered, the m43 was fitted in loads of body styles of the e36.

Give this a go http://www.mikerophonerecords.com/bimmer/

·
Registered
1 Posts
E36 316i m43 over heating

Hi,
sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you will proberly find that cylinder no2 on the head side is cracked from the water jacket through to the inlet valve. its very common on these and as soon as you mention the exhaust filling up its becomes a sure thing.
take the advice of the other member and fit a s/h engine.
hope this helps!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yup

I'm quite sure that is the old case of BM's one step forwards, two backwards..

The old m40 engine used to tap its nuts off due to the hydraulic lifters, and was belt driven. the m43 engine replace it, didnt tap (or not least as common as the m40) but are quite weak in the head-gasket/cylinder head area. Usually accompanied by a nice rev related whistle.

Whether its a compact/saloon/coupe/cabriolet, the engine is the same, just some components might be in different positions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
many thanks for all your replies......i think!!

i had a feeling that when i couldnt see the house for smoke/steam that the news was gonna be bad!! but heh!! it happens, just usually to me, so u lot may in fact be safe...well for a while anyway!! lol

if anyone is aware of the whereabouts of an engine to fit in my bay (in or around norfolk/suffolk area would be great!!) the knowledge of that would be wonderful!! i know there are a couple on ebay, but need to raise the funds first!! :(

many thanks in anticipation

connie xx

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Quickest way to get the car back on the road is to try and source the same engine. Least that way everything will fit and all the wiring will be the same.
Good luck on your search Connie :thumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.