BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I came to some trouble with my little baby :frown half my warning lights never came on when the ignition was turned on, so i decided to take off the instrument panel and found most of the warning light bulbs missing! well a certain garage who MOT'd my car before sale is gona get an earfull :shifty:
But back to the problem. I tried putting in the bulbs and most of them work, my ABS light is now on and never goes off so that needs looking into. But no matter what bulb i put in (swapping the bulbs round) the "check engine" light doesnt want to go on. So could anyone please be able to tell me where the connection could be broken? Electrical diagrams are not my strong point, hence why I'm doing Mechanical Engineering haha.
Thanks for your time and will greatly appreciate any help.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Just because your cars doesn't have the check light doesn't mean the DME(ECU) won't store any fault codes, if the car isn't performing like it should then get the fault codes read for the car.

I do agree that it is annoying that most don't have a working check light though, I have seen some e36 models with them though as standard :silly

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Will most garages be able to read the codes?
Wonder what the average cost is?
As long as they have a scanner that's BMW specific yes, a EOBD scanner is no good, needs to be a scanner with a 20 pin lead, like this

Expect to pay between £10-30 pounds, no more though I'd say personally, I can do mine all myself :hihi

·
Registered
237 Posts
Is that lead for connecting to a serial port on a laptop. Where do I get one and what software is best to use with that?

I have just been offered a Memo scanner B100 for £35. Are these any good do you know?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just want to ask another one, my dad was raking about for stuff like that for his shogun and found a bit of hardware which basicly reads the codes of the ecu and transmits them to a little digital display inside your car, is there stuff like that for BMW's? cos i see that bein rather handy, and time saving aswell :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
local garage wanted £37+ vat and stealers wanted £30 all in. still works out expensive if you get codes read, drive for a few days and then get them rechecked to look for new ones as the codes could be years old.
would be interested if its possible to retro fit check engine light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.