BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all really!

The car has 156K on the clock, and that is about all I know until I go and see it tomorrow.

It is a Saloon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I can make it, I will!

I'm glad to hear there are no corrosion problems with the 3-Series!

According to the owner it flew through it's last MOT in June last year, the bodywork is in good condition except the bumpers have faded to a light grey, and it drives like a dream.

As for service history, there is only two stamps from a geniune BMW dealership (one in 1996 and another in 1997) however local garages have stamped it from 1998-onwards.

The one thing I'm worried about, is the car has over 156,000 miles on the clock and there is no history (according to the owner) of a Cam-Belt change... Worrying!

And to make things worse it is a 554 mile drive home with the car from the owner in Southern England, so I'll be a bit scared that the belt will go in the long drive! :eek

However, it would be really bad luck if it were to snap, so I think I'll be alright as long as I change it first thing when the car arrives home!

So... in 8 hours (6AM) I'll leave to get the car, and by around mid day I should have given it a quick spin to check it is as good as he said it is, pay for it, and drive home by tea-time!

:D

£460 is really cheap for a Bimmer but it's going to cost me around £100 for travel... Not for a bus or train or anything, to pay my daughter to cover the two tanks of diesel she will need to use to take me there and drive herself back! I would take the train usually, but she has friends in that part of England so she'll go and see them to kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
No worries with the timing belt mate as its got a timing chain:thumbsup

Been to England ( London twice, Sheffield and Leeds ) for 4 of my bimmers and all went to plan so heres hoping. I dont mind the travelling either if its the one i want as theres not much selection up this neck of the woods.

Be handy if your a member of the AA for peace of mind though.

Enjoy the drive mate:)

Sat nav was a godsend as well when i got one, you can literally be on that M25 for days lol

No wonder Chris Rea called it the road to hell

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
IIRC my boss has had two of the 316 and the first one overheated a lot due to the headgasket that was on a 1996.

That was the only major problem he came across so far...

But genral thing like in the guide Stk post is pretty much a good guideline

1 - 9 of 9 Posts