BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a 95 e34 525tds auto that has auto box issues basically have tried most things but still wont work so need to change-just wondering can i fit auto box out of the newer e39 to my car will it still work.. as want to get as fresh a box as possible?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Won't work with a later box, you need to find a good autobox that matches up with your transmission ECU(so the same that comes out, there is a number on a plate on the side of the box)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya just looking on real oem my box is A5S310Z
but it shows the same one in early e39 525tds cars is it not the same thing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have gear light on screen and car wont move,but when changed oil old oil had burnt smell so think it gone past wasting time and money on current box.just want to get newest box i can so e39 would be great if it would work!

·
Registered
995 Posts
It's shagged then.

An E39 box will not work. An A5S310Z was made was made in lots of variations - 2 litre, 2.5, 2.8, 3.0, petrol, diesel, straight 6, V8, AGS, Steptronic, E36, E34, E39, E38...

A = automatic
5S = 5 speed
310 = the torque rating number
Z = ZF made it.

Almost all E39's have a Steptronic gearbox - only the very early ones didn't. They had the AGS unit (a gearbox which has an ECU that learns your driving style and alters the shift patterns to suit) and they won't do either. The only gearbox that will fit a E34 525tds and work is a gearbox from another E34 525tds. You may find a gearbox from a 93-95 325tds Auto is similar. But the smallest difference in the valve block or ECU and it will not work properly. The td gearbox is totally different, a four speed GM unit.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Look on the side of your injector pump ,there are lots of numbers.
These numbers are at rear of injector pump facing the cars inner wing,use a camera phone to get a picture of them.

2nd line down and at the end is 994,so this pump is a 994.There are 3 different numbers 993 / 994 / 995 so you need a box from a car that has the same pump number. The engine ecu and gearbox ecu are linked and communicate with each other so if you put the wrong pump or box on etc then they cannot be worked.
For instance I changed my injector pump years ago for a used one with the wrong number,the engine management light came on and no fuel left the pump to go to injectors so I then had to recondition the original pump to get the car working.
If you cannot find any numbers/writing then take pics at all angles of the pump as it will have been stamped elsewhere with just the code (my recon pump got a new case and had this done to it)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks for all your help guys,going to be hard to get a good box for a e34 at this stage do!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts