BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, hope someone can help - my 1995 525i Auto won't start. The plugs are wet so it looks like petrol is getting through, the plugs have a good spark, yet the car turns over but won't fire. My friend (who's a really good mechanic) is totally baffled, he put new plugs in, and he's taken it for a diagnostic test which showed no faults. The car's been really realiable until now, and nothing unusual has happened recently with it (although I washed it the day before, but it started no problem when I put it back in the garage). Does anyone have any ideas about what we could try?

Thanks in advance! Don

·
Registered
11 Posts
So you get wet plugs which means your injectors are working and so is your fuel pump. You get spark which means the coil packs are ok, so my guess would be to check out the crankshaft position sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got car started!

Finally got the car started again today - it took about 5 mins of hammering it a bit, but now its going fine and seems to be back to normal.

I've been discussing this on some other forums as well - and at looks like the cause was moving the car a short distance to wash it, then doing the same when putting it back in the garage. Seems that this is a common problem!

;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been discussing this on some other forums as well - and at looks like the cause was moving the car a short distance to wash it, then doing the same when putting it back in the garage. Seems that this is a common problem!
:confused

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Finally got the car started again today - it took about 5 mins of hammering it a bit, but now its going fine and seems to be back to normal.

;)
My friends e36 suffers from this, shortly afterwards the battery went :hihi

·
Registered
1 Posts
My BMW does this. Its a design problem. Disconnect battery, remove all ECUs, reconnect battery, turn over, disconnect battery, leave for 2 hours, re-install ECU's, connect battery, it will now start. Its caused by the ECU, seeing cold start it puts as much fuel in as possible, this needs to be burnt off before another restart can happen, so if you move the car and not allow to warm, when you go to start later, it wont.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Seems like a pretty bad design fault to me guys and a lot of hassle.:confused Sure its not something else?

If you have to get rid of the extra fuel then pull the fuel pump fuse and turn it over for about 20 secs with the gas pedal on the floor then try it again. Messing about with removing ecus etc seems a lot of carry on, surely its something else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts