BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 525i sport has no power and struggles to pick up speed from the off. It will drive but for some reason fails to speed up as it should. As it reaches 60 mph it just doesn't want to go any faster. Any answers please. Has anyone had this problem?

·
Banned
478 Posts
I would almost certainly put this down to a faulty sensor, It could be a whole host of sensors such as the the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) or the Oxygen sensor (or lambda) etc....

I would get the fault codes read, if you dont have a reader a garage won't charge much for this to be done, we can then verify your problem on here if you post us the fault code,

Just to confirm, you dont have any starting issues or abnormal noises at all?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Good advice Mighty 5,

A diagnostic scan is most definitely the first step. Once the scan has been performed ask for a print out or write down the fault codes that were stored on the ECU and post the details up here:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
In past I have found poor acceleration issues to be down to clogged injectors with worn seals (which in turn affect the 02 sensors functionality), ignition coils reading below what they should and of course as mentioned, engine sensors.

I have done all of this to mine (including a MAF, which turns out didn't need doing) and the car goes amazingly well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for all your suggestions. Will take it to a garage first for a scan to be done and take it from there. I think I could be there for a while but I guess its trial and error. Will get back to you when its sorted.
cheers.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Could even be blocked exhaust or slipping clutch? keep us updated :thumbsup

A fault code scan would be a good idea as mentioned, :cool

How high does the car rev round to when trying to get the speed up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will keep you up to date. It goes up to around 6000 rpm but still with no power.
Thanks will get back to you as soon as i find anything out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just been to the garage for a diagnostic check and they said the car is too old for the computer. However the guy done some manual checks and seems to think its the mass air flow filter that needs replaced....does this ring true with anyone and if so does anyone have any idea where i can get a cheap one as the ones I have looked at so far have all been pretty expensive.
Cheers

·
Banned
478 Posts
Just been to the garage for a diagnostic check and they said the car is too old for the computer. However the guy done some manual checks and seems to think its the mass air flow filter that needs replaced....does this ring true with anyone and if so does anyone have any idea where i can get a cheap one as the ones I have looked at so far have all been pretty expensive.
Cheers
The car is too old for the computer? or HIS computer, my guess is that he doesnt have the reader mate, I have exactly the same car as you but it 1991 and mine can be read...

You need a reader like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Diagnostic-E30%2FE31%2FE32%2FE34,E36%2FE39%2FE38%2FZ-3%2FZ8,E46_W0QQitemZ230325043963QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090212?IMSfp=TL090212123002r38918

There is every possibility that it is the MAF but sensor symptoms are often similar to each other when they are faulty and at around £100 for a replacement it is an expensive way to eliminate your problems, are there any other garages that have a reader? Most garages do or should these days...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much for that link to buying one. Think I will definately be buying one. I think the problem wasthe guy and not the computer but think I will try somewhere else for now to get to the bottom of the problem
Thanks

·
Banned
478 Posts
It will probably save you time and money in the long run if you buy a reader....:thumbsup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi
I bought the diagnostic kit from ebay to try and find out the problems with the car. The problem I have now is that the program has been fully installed to my computer but when I try and run this it comes up microsoft error.
Have you came across this before? Any ideas on how I can sort this?
It seems a waste of £40 if I cannot get this to work.
Thanks JILLBILL

·
Registered
294 Posts
tell you what the problem could be, has your car got the fly by wire throttle set up? if so it could be the trottle body in trouble, had the exact same prob with my 535i, same symptoms the lot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have also got this problem i was driving my car yesterday when it refused to go in gear. i stoped the car and eventually got it in to first gear. now it will not pick up power it goes into gear but will only pull away slowly the clutch is burning and i dont know what the problem could be as its new clutch anyone have any ideas? its a 320i 2.0coupe 1993

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi
thanks for your help.
Not sure what the fly by wire throttle set up is? Can you explain this to me and where I can check it? If this is the problem is it easy to fix?
Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
ITs the throttle body bolted to the inlet manifold and instead of having a throttle cable to operate it its done by electric, about 4 volts i think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts