BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I was wondering if any of you nice people could shed any light on why my 5series is idleing at between 2500-3000rpm (look like a boyracer when waiting at a traffic light). Ok Ive checked the throttle peddle and cable, which return to zero. I don't think it's a sticky air valve either.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We can certainly help :)...you need to check you connections going to item no. 6 HERE becuse it sounds like there is a leak somewhere there. Cleaning the ICV may help too :thumbsup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still no good

Ok cheers it was worth ago but no success, took it all apart and cleaned the ICV it clicks properly now, like new. However the car started idleing at 3500rpm last night and is still doing so :mad .

Any other suggestions would be nice, thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Still sounds like your ICV is stuck open. Also, have you tried disconnecting the MAF to see what happens? Checked further around the vacuum pipes for leaks?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ICV

Ok I didn't notice any slits in the pipes, nothing obvious will check again properly today. Disconnected and took off MAF, no difference still high revs. Working my way to the awkward ICV, the valve opened and closed freely when I cleaned it. Could it be the electrics to the ICV?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Pipes checked

:confusedOk taken the IRV back out and can't find any leaks in the pipes, (from diagram posted I checked 8, 3 and 10) no corrosion at all or signs of cracks.

Ok just turned it over again without IRV and MAF and is idleing at 1000rpm

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think what you need to do next is get the diagnostic codes read for you car. It will certainly show up if ICV or MAF is faulty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorted

Ok it was the ICV changed it yesterday at the huge cost of £15. The car idles better than it did before the problem happened. Thanks for all your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts