BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, here's the story.
Woke up this morning, jumped in the car, drove 500yards to the petrol garage, topped up the beast with 20quids worth of unleaded(defo not diesel), paid for it, came back and the car wouldn't start.
Key goes in , electric comes on, car spins over but doesnt fire up.

RAC had a look and said there's no fuel going to the engine but it's sparking ok. Theyve also checked the relays and they are fine.
Anyone got any ideas? My guess is possibly the immobiliser as my Mrs had a similar problem on her Beetle.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a rubber plug at the back of the engine that seals what would have been a vacuum pipe. The engine would sometimes fire up but then die and most of the time it just would not start.

You will have take the engine cover off and then look down the back and there is a little plastic right angled pipe. The bung cost £2.95 from my BMW dealer and took 30 seconds to fit.

I forgot to mention that the dealer wanted £60 + vat to fit it!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a rubber plug at the back of the engine that seals what would have been a vacuum pipe. The engine would sometimes fire up but then die and most of the time it just would not start.

You will have take the engine cover off and then look down the back and there is a little plastic right angled pipe. The bung cost £2.95 from my BMW dealer and took 30 seconds to fit.

I forgot to mention that the dealer wanted £60 + vat to fit it!
Numbers 10 and 6 here. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EF82&mospid=47327&btnr=11_1538&hg=11&fg=40

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
868 Posts
These caps are standard items to replace when you buy an old car. Most car dealers have them - I think I buy them from a Vauxhall dealer at 80p each or so.

·
Registered
105 Posts
According to "Tims "site under engine not starting he states
(When a crankshaft sensor fails the fuel pump does not run and the injectors do not fire.)
may be this might be your answer!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks mate ill tell my mechanic that info.
Still cant seem to find the fuel pump relay though, all i can find is that its supposed to be yellow....very helpful lol

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cheers enda....the cars at my mechanics but i passed over the info to him and he says there is no relay matching the description stated in the manual in the ecu box but the search continues..

·
868 Posts
Connecting a diagnostic computer should be able to tell you what's wrong pretty quickly. Check any faults stored in the DME.

You can measure the fuel pressure behind the engine at the hoses - not sure exactly how the layout is on a V8 or whether you have one or two fuel pumps but fuel hoses are normally not difficult to follow. If no fuel comes through see if the pump works, check for contamination in the tank, replace the fuel filter, look for leaks - usual procedure.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cheers mate. Ive got a guy coming to read the computer on monday so hopfully that will give me an idea of what needs to be done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My car has been in a garage for repairs for over two weeks..

After completing the repairs on the ramp, they could not start the engine to move it.
It was cranking over ok, they tried charging the battery, replacing it, checked fuel ok, etc and were stumped.
They called me up to come and see to it.

I went to the garage, disconnected BOTH batteries, left for a few mins, reconnected and it started up straight away.
It seems the immobiliser had kicked in and disconnecting both batteries is the only way to reset it.
Worth a try, if you have'nt already.

Reactions: Vultch

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well thats what i was thinking 1st of all but i have a set of spare keys...1 of which is just a key with no clicker or fob attached etc so didnt think there was an immobiliser.

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
right...got the guy to read the computer and after 2hours of searching he found...0 faults!
the engine starts when fed a direct fuel line but the fuel pump doesnt appear to be working.my mechanic put a direct live to the fuel pump but it still would not pump. other than a new fuel pump does anyone know if theres any other reason why this is not working..and does anyone know where i can find a new fuel pump should it require one.
thanks

·
868 Posts
Sound like pump time, Niall. I would be happy to lend you one to test with but I only have 850 ones and don't know if they are the same as on an 840.

Maybe somebody else has 840 parts.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts