BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1995 BMW E34 525TDS Hard to start when left overnight.

884 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  johnibby 
#1 ·
Hello.I am new on this forum and I registered because I have problem with my BMW.

So,I have problem with cold starting since I bought this car (4 months ago) and I want to solve it.
It starts bad only when left overnight or longer...It cranks great but it doesnt start.
It usually starts after 3rd attempt or if I heat glow plugs for like 4-5 times...
When it starts it blows smoke from exhaust.My shot is the glow plugs.I took the relay out and 2nd glow plug (purple wire) is dead on relay.
Could that one glow plug cause this problem?
If i turn off the car after cold start and turn it on again,it will start without problem...Thank you and sorry for my bad English! :)

#2 ·
check each glow plug for continuity ie remove one glow plug cap at a time multimeter on low resitance ohms , black wire to earth anywhere touching engine and red on top of glow plug you should have a reading as if you touched both of multimeters wires together on every plug , ie a buzz from multimeter if it stays at 1 they are knackered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.