BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought: 12th December 2008
Paid: £750

Its a 1995 (M) BMW 316i SE in Black, which has very few modifications if any, apart from the 3" exhaust that was added before I purchased, along with the Blackout Tints, which I need to get sorted.

Good Points:
  • 5 good alloys with legal tyres
  • Full BMW toolkit
  • Cam Belt changed at 140,000
  • Oil & Filter changed at 140,000
  • HPI checked, not stolen/scrapped/wanted

Bad Points:
  • 153,000 miles on the clock
  • Drivers seat in need of repair/replacement
  • Door cards loose/misaligned/broken
  • Sound system shot
  • Rear light clusters shot
  • Headlights all with different lamps
  • Illegal front window tints
  • Clock lamp gone
  • Smoked indicators/side repeaters
  • 1 fog light working
  • Centre vent not working
  • Glovebox doesnt close
  • Centre console looks like its been attacked by dogs
  • Handbrake plastic cover loose
  • Illegal number plates
  • Everything has been sprayed black
  • Interior needs a good clean
  • Washer jets not working
  • Rust patches on the doors and rear arches
  • N/S/F Window drops down and falls out the rubber seal
  • O/S/F Window needs a new seal
  • One-touch window operation doesn't seem to work correctly

O/S/F View

N/S/F View

Full Frontal

Interior

Ive got quite a lot of projects lined up for this baby already, which now New Years is out of the way, I can crack on with. Ill post photos and a little "Walk-Thru" guide of how it was achieved so other members can borrow my ideas.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In-Car iPod Touch/iPhone Docking Station

Ok, so I'm back again. I got bored, so started on a modification that I've been thinking of since I bought the car.

"In-Car iPod Docking Station"
Not had much chance to do anything yet, although I have started the process.

Removed the coin tray or whatever you wish to call it, and cut out the plastic so that the iPod dock fits snugly into it. Not too worried about how it looks at the moment, as the Body Filler will come out soon to add a smooth finish to the whole thing.

So far this is what the modification looks like:

More pictures to follow as the modification continues.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apologies, it would be the coin tray/cubbie in the centre console under the clock or OBC which I removed to do the modification.

Quite suprised that Apple haven't come out with a kit to do this install. Although this doesn't seem too difficult at the moment, time will tell though!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sunglasses tray!! Thats what it is, haha..

Anyway, here we go, Phase 2 of the iPod Dock mod. Not as neat as it could be, but it was cold out there and the filler didn't like setting, even with extra hardener. There will be more filler going on as soon as the Dock arrives.

Yet to manufacture a bracket or cradle that the dock will sit into snugly, while retaining the Dock tightly so it doesn't move.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After 24 hours hardening time, I've sanded down most of the 1st coat of filler, now to build it up and get the shape im looking for. Hopefully the iPod Docking Station will arrive soon, then I'll be able to mould the shape to suit, and make it look truely professional.

Maybe I'll just steal the one off the missus used in the first picture so I can get it completed, then give her the brand new one when it finally arrives.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phase 4 has finally landed. This is looking like the final coat of filler to be added to the console, apart from the odd small hole or hairline to be filled and smoothed.

Yet to formulate a mounting bracket for the iPod Dock to, although I have a couple of ideas in the pipeline, there are also 2 cigarette lighter sockets to install into the console. Along with the 2 in the front, there's also 1 to install in the rear of the car.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the filler leaves something to be desired, but it all sands off. Plus I get the stuff dirt cheap anyway, haha. Currently the mod is on hold, I am currently waiting for my audio supplier to get the Pioneer iPod connection kit in stock, as this will allow me to connect and control the iPod's features direct from the Pioneer AVIC-X3-II headunit which I've got coming. It also displays the iPod's screen on the headunits screen too, which is nice.

I've got a new dash, glovebox and centre console, hopefully, on its way from e36pauly, thanks very much mate!, which will vastly improve the interior of my car.

Another mod which I'm installing would be a Start Button, ordered the parts for this yesterday, however my supplier doesn't have the right button in stock until Feb, which isn't currently a problem, as it will allow me enough time to change the dash, etc over ready.

I'll post the parts list up for the start button, along with a decent wiring diagram at a later date, once completed and working.

Reactions: RYM

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope to be able to piece together a few "How-To's" out of the thread eventually, it does mean remembering how I did things though!!

Just a quick update from the original post;

Bad Points:
  • 153,000 miles on the clock - Can't do anything about this!
  • Drivers seat in need of repair/replacement - New Interior is on its way!
  • Door cards loose/misaligned/broken - Replacement front door cards temporarily fitted until replacement interior arrives.
  • Sound system shot - Currently having a system priced up and ordered.
  • Rear light clusters shot - Replaced with standard BMW clusters for the time being.
  • Headlights all with different lamps - H1 Whites installed across the board!
  • Illegal front window tints - I'll sort these when it warms up a little.
  • Clock lamp gone - No clock currently, the centre console is under-going a refurb, including a replacement dash, etc.
  • Smoked indicators/side repeaters - Awaiting replacements.
  • 1 fog light working - Lamps changed, now pure white!
  • Centre vent not working - Replacement sought from local breakers yard, £2!
  • Glovebox doesnt close - Replacement coming with replacement dash, etc.
  • Centre console looks like its been attacked by dogs - Replacement coming.
  • Handbrake plastic cover loose - Still works, so haven't touched it yet, new gaiters and handles/knobs coming soon.
  • Illegal number plates - Replaced with road legal plates, so that nice ANPR can read them, and so I don't get a nice £30 fine.
  • Everything has been sprayed black - Under-going a transformation, staying black, but with accents of chrome grills and splashes of white & blue on the interior.
  • Interior needs a good clean - Still needs a good clean.
  • Washer jets not working - Pipes were shot, so replaced with High Temp Clear PVC, Heated washer jets getting installed soon.
  • Rust patches on the doors and rear arches - Will be dealt with once the weather warms up a little.
  • N/S/F Window drops down and falls out the rubber seal - New plastic clips have been ordered.
  • O/S/F Window needs a new seal - Seal replaced.
  • One-touch window operation doesn't seem to work correctly - For some reason it does now!! However, the installation of rear electric windows is coming in the near future.

More updates soon, now back to pulling my hair out, woop!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.