BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone new to bmw forum. I am a member of the LDV-Sherpa forum because of the problems ive had with my work truck, but funny enough i have never had any problems with me BMW 525 till now, sorry thats why i joined your forum! Thanx again! My problem is i had to change my thermostat which i done, had to take fan off to get to the bold on the housing but i got there! The problem is i sheered one the the bottom housing bolts off, i still carried on putting it all back together, filled overflow tank etc, and i looked at where i sheered the bolt off and its leaking! I was well annoyed with myself! What can i do to get a new bolt in there? This time ill also put some instant gasket on it, the bolt i sheered is the drivers side bottom bolt! Would gasket sealer work or will it need a bolt back in there! Help!!

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Hi seanyboy1985v6, welcome to the forum:D

Sorry to hear the news that you have posted about:frown

Has the bolt sheered off flush with the face of the cylinder head or has it left a small bit exposed?

I would imagine a sealing agent will work but it's a case of how long.

I can imagine how hard it was whilst the engine is in place because I took mine off of one of the engines I have out at the moment and I was thinking "God damn I bet this is a bitch to do in position":hihi

Ronnie may have another solution, he is our forum GENIUS:hihi

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You will need to remove the broken bit out of the block, BMW cooling systems are pretty high pressure so it will still leak most likely even with sealant, or it won't last long and will blow the headgasket.

You are going to need to drill the bolt out if there is none protruding....
http://www.madelectrical.com/workshop/broken-bolts.shtml

If drilling is order of the day then be very careful as if you don't drill central you will drill the alloy head out and may end up really ruining it, you can try drilling out a size up at a time till you just start to hit the threads then see if it will wind out, if you do hit the threads badly but are still central then you can helicoil it

·
Banned
478 Posts
Thats a handy bit of kit to have ronnie!

Just a little bit of advice

I replaced my thermostat just before christmas, and i managed to crack the thermostat housing, due to overtightening the bolts. You should have an o ring around the thermostat, that seals the thermostat, and a gasket in the triangular hole on the housing, When you come to tighten the bolts back up, just be careful not to overtighten them.:thumbsup

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the reply guys. I went back out after i posted this and took all the bolts out of the housing and removed and lucked enough i still had some of the bolt hanging out thank god, and strangely it came out with me under doing it with my fingers, was very loose, which i though was strange but hey its out now and thank you all for your replys!

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Thanx for the reply guys. I went back out after i posted this and took all the bolts out of the housing and removed and lucked enough i still had some of the bolt hanging out thank god, and strangely it came out with me under doing it with my fingers, was very loose, which i though was strange but hey its out now and thank you all for your replys!

So it's (FIXED) then??? If so we can amend the thread title:thumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts