BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Ive had my 328 for over a month now and Its got no oil left in it. Now I changed the oil after buying the car, and the oil was clean coming out, but I wanted to do it anyway. Now a month later the engine sounds v tapperty and Ive checked the oil and there isnt any on the dipstick what so ever. The oil light has not come on though, and it works when I start the car up.
Ive also noticed that the car jumps a tad when accelerating in low gears after first starting up.

Any idea's? Im off to the garage to get some oil, any recommendations on what oil to get?

Jazz

·
Registered
401 Posts
depends on mileage for oil, but anything good qaulity in 10w40w will be fine for all round, higher mileage cars will be better with 5w30w but again depends on the mileage of your car. how much did you put back in? when i done my 328i it took 1 and half big tubs to fill upcant remember the exact litre capacity but i know its a lot.

·
Registered
401 Posts
good qaulity, 10w/40w will be fine as your car is borederline high mileage, id buy an extra tub of oil and then pure it in, take the car for a long drive, 15 miles ish give it a couple of decent blasts and then come home, let it cool down a bit till you can change the oil. because the oil will be hotter than you would normally change it you are more likely to get the shit out of the sump before it gets stuck in the sludge catcher things. the oil that you put in, drain that and put it back in a tub incase you run low because its fresh itll be fine to use later on, bung your fresh oil and filter and in see how it goes then.
when youve changed it take it for a long drive again but this time let the car warm up fully and do a few miles before you give it welly to make sure oil has circulated properly, check the oil again when you get home and top up if needs be
another thing, make sure you let the car stand a while before you check the oil and id check it a few times, ie dipstick in and out a few times to make sure it reads level over a 5 min period

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had it to me mates garage last night who had it on the ramps, the oil is above the lambda sensor, he reckons its the rocker cover gasket. Is this something I can do myself in a day? or is it a garage jobby? Im taking it to a BMW indep garage today to see what they say.

Never noticed the oil leak but thats because the oil is burning when it touches the exhaust pipe below, therefore no oil on the floor.

James

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Rockers covers are DIY jobs, but you have make sure you get a good seal upon refitting.

Oil dripping onto I assume the lower section of the exhaust manifolds is going to be from either the headgasket or rocker, if the rocker is in a bad way.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Make sure you get a decent quality gasket too because they come with the spark plug hole seals as well. You will get oil into the plug holes if you dont replace these at the same time :D
When you refit the gasket, make sure the half moon shape is in correctly at the back near the bulkhead :thumbsup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.