BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1995 E36 325TDS. Ever since I have had it I have never been happy with the way it handles/feels when driving. It seems to get pulled all over the road by bumps and camber and not just a little but but quite alot at times. I initally thought it was just tired shocks as its done 150k so recently I purchased a set of lowering shocks an springs all round.(I wouldn't have especially wanted to lower it but I found a kit like this was way cheaper than buying standard parts)!! Nothing silly its just 40 at front 20 at back. So I changed all the fronts over and changed the rear shocks and did the rear shock mounts while at as I know they are a problem. Havent got round to fitting rear springs yet....however its still just as bad!!!! It sometimes feels quite dangerous, it feels as though I am always fighting to keep it in a straight line on b roads or bumpy roads. Its all in track etc cos had it done not long ago and it travel perfectly straight line on very flat even roads.

Does anybody have any idea what may be causing this???? Is it to do with some of the other bushes etc?? If so which ones???

Thanks

·
Registered
884 Posts
Has the car been crash damaged at any point do you know?

Might be chassis damage.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
You need to have the following checked, 'thoroughly' most certainlly replaced with that mileage;

- front wishbone bushes
- rear control arm bushes
- rear trailing arm bushes

The above make the most difference to ensure there's no play in the arms where they link to the chassis and cause problems such and wandering and pulling.

Also yo need to check your front & rear anti roll bar bushes, drop links, ball joints and track rod ends.

These components generally last in the region of 40,000miles, but can go undetected and overlooked as BMWs tend to have a good chassis that can dilute the symptoms until these components are completely shot.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
its all in track???
tracking is just the adjustment of toe in/out across one axle.
it really needs to be 4 wheel aligned tbh.
it checks front and rear axles in relation to each other and also takes into account the camber angles.
a decent algnment operater will be able to offer advice on the condition of your bushes too.
i had mine done recently and it severely lessened the tramlining i was getting ;)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
You need to have the following checked, 'thoroughly' most certainlly replaced with that mileage;

- front wishbone bushes
- rear control arm bushes
- rear trailing arm bushes

The above make the most difference to ensure there's no play in the arms where they link to the chassis and cause problems such and wandering and pulling.

Also yo need to check your front & rear anti roll bar bushes, drop links, ball joints and track rod ends.

These components generally last in the region of 40,000miles, but can go undetected and overlooked as BMWs tend to have a good chassis that can dilute the symptoms until these components are completely shot.

DSK is on track:thumbsup

If you are struggling to keep it in a straight line due to the pulling effect then you really need to focus on the items listed above. The lower wishbone rear bushes go for a past time and can causing steering issues.

A simple test to check the bush is to...

1) In an open clear space, get to a speed of approx 15mph then give a couple of very short but sharp dabs on the brake pedal. Can you feel a knocking come up through the steering?

2) Park the car up with the hand brake fully on. Hold a front wheel, left hand at 9 O'clock and right hand at 3 O'clock. Then you need to try to physically rock the whole car backwards and forwards. If the wheel moves then there is play in the bush and it will need replacing. If the wheel moves very easily then the bushes are shot.

Please be sure to let us know how you get on:thumbsup

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had the exact same problem and everyone suggested bushes but they were all ok.
Yesterday I went to a tyre place and spoke to a mechanic in there. He said definitely tracking before he even looked at it. He put lasers on all 4 wheels and got the car up on a lift. He spent about ten mins adjusting each of the rear wheels.
Yesterday I got to drive my car the way it should be for the very first time since I got it.
€55 euro and its a different car!!:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
got the same problem with my compact (drives perfect on flat surface but tramlines when it goes over a repaired road)
its got brand new 16" z4 alloys/bridgestone runflat tyres on and i put it down to not being a suitable match.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts