BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've literally just gought myself this car.

Bought it with 113k (verified) and MOT til nov 2011 for a good price.

However it does suffer from some issues, and I'd like some folks with e36 expertise to advise me

1. The passenger footwell is damp, and the car mists up heavily when parked.
I've seen the guide on clearing out the vent sections (and I'll do that shortly)

However, when coupled with 2, I'm concerned about the heater matrix.

2. The car will sit at 1/2 on the gauge for approx 10 mins driving, then slowly creep towards the red. I have NO hot air in the blowers, and running full blowers does NOT drop the temp.

Do you think the heater marix could be gone?

I've checked for mayo/ leaks from the engine bay, and it seems ok.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Are you losing coolant?
Can you lift the carpet and see what colour the water is?/smell it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you losing coolant?
Can you lift the carpet and see what colour the water is?/smell it?
I've not had it long enough to check if its loosing coolant.. I'm intending to check that out tonight.

as fior the carpet, its wet but it doesnt smell particualrly anti-freeze like

·
Registered
189 Posts
If its wet on the footwell i would almost certainly say the heater matrix has burst especially as you have no heaters. Also check the Heater Control valve located on the bulkhead. The matrix may be letting air into the system which will cause an airlock which inturn will cause overheating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If its wet on the footwell i would almost certainly say the heater matrix has burst especially as you have no heaters. Also check the Heater Control valve located on the bulkhead. The matrix may be letting air into the system which will cause an airlock which inturn will cause overheating.
I would second this.Its easy enough to put in a new one :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Also, under preventative maintenance, once you get to the bottom of where the water's coming from, check the wiring connections under the passenger's side carpet as they tend to corrode and cause no end of central locking/interior lighting woes:thumbsup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info Gents,

So its looking like a dash out job to change the seal then?

Bugger.

I'ss see if I can get the part ordered up.

What sort of time should I be looking at for this?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
You can get the heater matrix out without taking the dash out so if that is the fault it is easier to fix. If like me you find it is the heater box seal there is no other option

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also, under preventative maintenance, once you get to the bottom of where the water's coming from, check the wiring connections under the passenger's side carpet as they tend to corrode and cause no end of central locking/interior lighting woes:thumbsup

They sure do-I had to remove the passenger seat to get access to it-This was after checking the bootlid loom and fuses etc..etc...then I heard about this problem and this is what I found :eek

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Mine looked exactly the same if not worse, some of the wires had even snapped off the earh block but there weren't any electrical issues lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts