BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Evening all

I want to replace my torn and tatty steering wheel - its this type.......

http://en4cer.co.uk/ima/steering.jpg

The scrap yard car that I have found with a good wheel has no ignition key and the steering lock is on.

If I get the steering wheel shroud off - through brute force i'm afraid, will I have the access I need to get the wheel off?

Cheers

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep the airbag is fitted to both my car and the scrap car. The scrap car has no battery so the airbag capacitor should have easily discharged by now (altough I know noting about Airbag wheels so any advice greatly accepted.

Thanks for that link - very useful - only issue I reckon I will have is a small splined torx tool as mine is one of these universal handles with an adaptor to take screwdriver bits on and the adapter is about 10mm diameter.

Tomorrow Im changing the brake pads as the light has come on. Hopefully I can get down the scrap yard too/

Cheers for the help - I hope to have some pics of the car up tomorrow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello Zircon, Think you are looking at it a bit too deep, Take the two star bolts out holding the airbag (You get to those from the back of the steering wheel) Drop the airbag out then take the steering wheel nut off, Wobble the steering wheel up and down slightly while pulling it as will help to pull it off the splines, Then on the back of the steering wheel it is like a cassette reel you will see where the wires from this go to just unplug them with some long nose pliers and its free, I recently fitted a Sparco steering wheel and getting the cassette reel to fit the Boss kit correctly was a nightmare I must have been filing the Boss for nearly 2 hours, Hope this helps Matie.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers KJB - will have a crack at it tomorrow with any luck.

Any chance you know the size of the nut holding the wheel on???

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep - 16 it most definitely was - and 16 for the caliper brackets too!

I got the wheel off the scrap car with the steering lock on - was easy.

Cheers chaps.

Reactions: RYM and Ronnie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yep - 16 it most definitely was - and 16 for the caliper brackets too!

I got the wheel off the scrap car with the steering lock on - was easy.

Cheers chaps.
SORRY Zircon, supposed to have put 16 or 18ml not 26 or 28ml :silly Think the spline diameter is only 21ml and the bolt goes into that, Glad you got it sorted anyway :thumbsup

·
Registered
2 Posts
momo

Hello Zircon, Think you are looking at it a bit too deep, Take the two star bolts out holding the airbag (You get to those from the back of the steering wheel) Drop the airbag out then take the steering wheel nut off, Wobble the steering wheel up and down slightly while pulling it as will help to pull it off the splines, Then on the back of the steering wheel it is like a cassette reel you will see where the wires from this go to just unplug them with some long nose pliers and its free, I recently fitted a Sparco steering wheel and getting the cassette reel to fit the Boss kit correctly was a nightmare I must have been filing the Boss for nearly 2 hours, Hope this helps Matie.
Hello KJB, I noticed you saying you fitted sparco, well yesterday I fitted a momo steering wheel with boss kit and it took me 15 min but that's because I didn't know how to connect the wires for the horn. Steering work but not the horn.
If you could describe step by step "how to" it would be very kind of you. And if anyone else has some tips, please share it...
Thaks guys in advance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.