BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if anyone has experienced this before.....

Driving along at 40+ and the steering wheel starts to shake quite badly. Slow down and it goes. After stopping there is a very strong burning type smell from the front nearside (i think)..:jaw-dropping

I jacked her up and checked all the wheels for binding and there is a slight tightness on this wheel but not very much. No side to side play so i presume the wheel bearings are ok.

What makes it strange is this is intermittant. It has only happended twice. Any ideas?

I dont really want to use her till this is sorted and i am off for tomorrow and Monday.

Cheers guys.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Do you get any pulling at all??

Could well be a sticking brake caliper, and its the pads that are cooking....

Reactions: StevePJ

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Accompanied by burning as mentioned, you most likely have a caliper or two thats worse for wear. May the seal for the piston is going preventing the piston from working fully, thus driving with the brakes on enough to generate the heated which causes the steering to shake once the temperature gets high enough.

Check your brake discs, are they the same colour (or the colour a healthy brake disc should be)? If the problem we all think is actually the fault, you will be see that one or more of your brake discs have some 'blueing'.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Accompanied by burning as mentioned, you most likely have a caliper or two thats worse for wear. May the seal for the piston is going preventing the piston from working fully, thus driving with the brakes on enough to generate the heated which causes the steering to shake once the temperature gets high enough.

Check your brake discs, are they the same colour (or the colour a healthy brake disc should be)? If the problem we all think is actually the fault, you will be see that one or more of your brake discs have some 'blueing'.
Very true DSK...

And a new set of discs and pads will be needed, chances are the discs will be well warped....

If it is your calipers... depending on your budget you have a few options...

If the caliper is not too bad, you could try cleaning them if it is not leaking...
But the cheapest method of replacement will be a trip to the salvage yard and picking one up there...
Or you could rebuild the caliper, which obviously will cost a little more!!

Just inspect them well for leaks of brake fluid and the blueing on the discs as DSK mentioned...:thumbsup

Reactions: StevePJ

·
Registered
426 Posts
Don't rule out the bearing, as i've just done my brothers wheel bearing on a focus. No play but there was a grinding noise.
Once the hub carrier was off, still no play but the bearing was stiff - some bodger, possibly the dealer he bought it off only a month ago, had stuck an extra washer on the driveshift spline just to tighten it up more i assume.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i had the wheel off and a good look this afternoon. Would appear to be the caliper. The paint on the pads has bubbled which is a good sign they have got slightly warm!

I have taken the pads out, cleaned all the crap out and put them back togehter. The piston was rather dirty but did return ok with the old clamp method and no apparant fluid leaks.

The disc however does show signs of damage, and is definatley sticking in one place, so a trip to Euro Car Parts for a new pair tomorrow!

Many thanks for such helpful and quick advice. Muchly appreciated....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.