BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think i may need to replace a front caliper soon but in the manual i have for the car (94 M3 so seems that there are not many available!) it says that cars with ABS need to have the brakes bled at a dealership as special tools are required.

Does anyone know if this is definitely the case or if is possible to do yourself with the right tools??

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Think i may need to replace a front caliper soon but in the manual i have for the car (94 M3 so seems that there are not many available!) it says that cars with ABS need to have the brakes bled at a dealership as special tools are required.

Does anyone know if this is definitely the case or if is possible to do yourself with the right tools??

Cheers.

Done this before............don't need no special tools mate.

Although, a pressure bleeder is the way to go but if you don't have one then don't worry about it.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Ive never had a problem :confused
I would clamp off the brake hose before you disconnect it from the caliper, that will save you emptying the system.
You would need a vacuum bleeder that is used on a compressor or the air in the spare tyre. I would not use the pumping pedal method as this will push the piston in the master cylinder too far and could damage the seals.
IIRC you will need to remove approx a litre to completly change the fluid. :thumbsup

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wicked cheers, was hoping that was the case! I have had a seized caliper which i have freed up but i rekon it might need replacing in a few months as the outer seal i buggered.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You can also use a bar or similar wedged between the seat and brake pedal to hold the brake pedal down half way, this blocks off the ports in the brake master cylinder allowing you to remove the caliper or brake flexi without it constantly dripping.

It is great for when you are changing the metal pipes front to rear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.