BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to BMWS But recently Bout a saloon 325tds Work Horse got it cdheap at 400 quid but problems are as follows !!

Ive read through allot of stuff and we cant find what we are looking for !

A small Orange light come on the dash when ignigtion is turned on clearly looks like an Injector !!

When staring the heatin lamp comes on and sometimes it dosent but we find it hard to start when warm !!

When its running Its very lump as if its off a cylinder tho ive been told it could be an ijector but woudl the car be smokey if the injector was away !!

Then ive been told if coudl be the fuel pump because at idel its lumpy but if you incream the RPM ever so slightly it clears up !! Now im think the hard to start problem coudl be the pump isnt pumping enough fuel in at low rpm and taking a long time to start and even at low rpm its still not putting enuf fuel in but when reving the engine it sounds great no knocks just a small ticking sound !!

I was thinking about small tunnign to the trubo and pump anyways maybe this could help the problem but introducing more desil to the engine like screwin the pump is it possible all advice welcomed thanks !!!

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
The light you describe looks like an injector nozzle with spray coming out right?

The symptoms you describe do point towards the pump bolted to the engine has failed and probably the reason you obtained the car so cheap.

I will PM a member a lot more in the know than me:thumbsup

My pump failed (Could be seen leaking) and I just replaced the engine as I had no knowledge of replacing just the pump and it looked as though it was also the cheaper option:thumbsup

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hot starting is an issue on all m51 engines,there are fixes but do not worry about that at the moment.The 'heating' light or glow plug light will come on when engine is cold and up to around the end of the blue mark on temp gauge,lift pump in tank runs when glow plugs are on hence easy start but not on hot engine,hence the cranking,but again do not worry about that at the moment.If it is only lumpy at idle and as you say you increase revs a bit it is fine this can point to a worn potentiometer in the injector pump,this will get worse as time goes by needing pump overhaul at around about £600,the track inside pump is worn at tickover position,think of it as a record that is scratched and the needle cannot find the groove to sit in,this symptom always appears to be an injector playing up.Now you have the light on at the dash,your problem could just be a sensor needs replacing so have the codes read and see what comes up.If pump is worn inside you could possibly play with the throttle pedal to fix a stop and make it tick over a little higher possibly depending on how many more revs it needs added to sort it and get many more thousands of miles out of it,although if car has autobox then this could be tricky.Lastly check the engine oil level and see if it has a bit to much oil in it,and then remove intercooler pipe from inlet manifold and look to see if there is a lot of oil in there,it will be black as coal in there and oily but its dripping oil you are looking for,if so then disconnect the rocker cover pipe that goes to inlet boot,block the hole on the inlet boot and fit a length of hose to the rocker cover pipe and hang it down under the engine where it won't get caught in fan or burn on exhaust.The engine can suck oil from the breather if oil level to high/engine breathes a bit more than it should/air filter blocked,engine can misfire on this oil esp at tick over.Check number 4 injector and look to see if any diesel is leaking from the wire that comes from it/and that it is plugged it correctly at the connection below inlet manifold and also check for leaks on the injector leak off pipes.The pump does not throw up the warning light when the potentiometer goes,all the engine will do is jump around on its mounts going up and down in revs but sounding like its misfiring as the needles try to get a signal from the worn track.One more thing,check for air in the clear pipe to injector pump when it is running/revving engine will often draw more in if there is an air leak.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I suggested the breather pipes because my tds has had lumpy tick over.long drive to Manchester 450 mile round trip plugged fuel filter by bad batch bio.drove back with misfire.Lift pump died so replace with facet.A week sorting air leaks and junking Bmw filter for ford unit sees no air but rough running.Return banjo bolt on pump( pressure valve) faulty so changed.Runs nice..lot better pick up and flys but jumpy mumur at tick over.Spend week fiddling around looking for air leaks and check systen over with no luck...Sump level was bit high ? but running rough n misfiring has diluted sump a bit more so the turbo has been sucking slight oil mist hence car idles rough but drives like a rocket.Noticed oily inlet when removing manifold to fix pump return but didnt think any thing of it other than bit more oil than normal.disconnected as posted above and now much better and murmer fading as it uses last of oil in pipes and cooler.The engine has never used oil at all before and once oil changed will be back to normal.Rough running caused the dilution on prob last 200 mile journey.So sorted now but have been very very close to finishing car off with sledge hammer in the last week :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK reading though your answers I can safely says if Must but the Pump as when driving in high gear youd expect this type a car to pull on but when it crusing its a bit jumpy,
Is there anyways I can restore the pump by replacing parts as I am a mechanic but I coudl neevr find a good reason for these mishaps !!!

The hot start problem Whats the best way to cure that so that any time hot or cold that the lift pump and heatin lamps come on !!!!

Thanks ALlot lads !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also blanking off the egr !!

Can I blank off the EGR with a piece of metal I make in the garade or woudl i need to Reroute the pipe work if i can blank it off will it do much harm will the advantages be noticable !!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Blank off egr at manifold with new 2p (made of steel) then unplug vac hose to it and plug the hose as well.Cruising revs are well away from tickover so if still lumpy suspect air in fuel or the breather problem mentioned.Get the codes read as the fault may be reason for warning light.Duff pump at tick over ie worn pot in my experience only affects tickover.Any symptoms such as loosing all reaction to throttle input at any time when driving ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.