BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
past week ive noticed engine seems alot louder than usual, my friends were calling it a tug boat :lol i havent serviced it since i got it just ran alot of injector cleaner through it, i was going to service it and maybe use them zx1 oil additive see if it helps, is it common for then to be like that with 194k on?

regards ****

·
Registered
584 Posts
They are normaly quiet so an engine oil that has thinned out can cause a bit more noise.
15/40 semi synthetic is best for these engines.
Using supermarket fuel will make then rattle and clatter more,esp Tesco fuel.
Do a google search on supermarket fuel and you will be shocked.

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solved the battery/not starting problem then?
it seems to be fine now, so i can only assume cold weather was killing the battery off and its fine now :confused

as regards diesel it does run off morisons stuff, i was going to use the 10 40 my friends getting me from work it castrol but if its used on 200k trucks at his work it must be good enough for that and hopefully a little additive will quiet it down too

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im not sure if im just starting to get used to it aswell but seems like turbo isnt quite pinning you in the seat anymore till later in revs by a little:confused but i havent had a quick car since my corrado was off the road so might just be me getting used to having something that can move a little again haha

·
Registered
584 Posts
Have a search on this forum for tds egr valve.

Tips on how to block it off .

The car should not really have any turbo feel ie kicking in / pin in seat kind of feel,they just tear off from tick over,that kicking in feel is suggestive that the egr is sticking open a bit.

After a Corrado then the tds will feel a bit flat lol but they are quite quick esp considering the weight of the car.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
it seems to be fine now, so i can only assume cold weather was killing the battery off and its fine now :confused

as regards diesel it does run off morisons stuff, i was going to use the 10 40 my friends getting me from work it castrol but if its used on 200k trucks at his work it must be good enough for that and hopefully a little additive will quiet it down too
Some trucks at my work have done up to and some well beyond 1,000,000k:jaw-dropping

They get run on castrol 15w 40

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ahh i see thanks for that, i thought it almost seemed laggy but that could be the ticket haha, this is me nice daily drivier anyway the corrado a fuel monster with the size of the new charger im fitting so im not expecting it to keep up :lol

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the more i think about this issue the more it bugs me, it just start doing it all of a sudden really after i ran lots on injector cleaner through now i think about it also so even if a vehicle run perfectly fine could they cause noise?

looks like an easy job to change them, so might get some from a omega or whatever i can and give it a go, also the mechanical fuel pump on cam if that a common thing to cause noise ill get one also from scraped, just gotta find someone with an omega in a scrapper whos doesnt know what its worth

ive explored the timing chain avenue and it seems unlikely it would just happen all of a sudden so does anyone else have any ideas?

regards ****

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
had it checked todau by local expert and its a lazy tappet so less thre cheap as hell its not getting done:frown and ill have to keep it soundling like a tractor

·
Registered
40 Posts
The rattling could be from the serpantine belt tensioner. The bushes collapse or the shock absorber gives up & causes tapping rattling noises. also the jockey wheel & tensioner bearings can be noisey.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I too have a 325tds and it's been a noisy engine since i got it! I drive round with my head down in the towns as it sounds like such a Transit van! :(
I think mine too however is a lazy tappet and too much work to bother with for a bit of noise! think a replacement car may just be in order! :p

will investiage the EGR valve at next service this weekend though!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts