BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I removed the PDC from an N reg 328i which had the system factory fitted, but there was no button for it? I assumed there would be a button similar to the 'ASC' button to switch the sensors off.
As I say, it was all factory fitted so I'm guessing it wasn't missing but just to clarify, should there be a button?

Thanks

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but it's activated by the switch in the gearbox, and theres no way of turning it off !

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no switch on the box, it activates on the reverse light circuit.
I just assumed as with all other cars I've driven with parking sensors that there was a button to shut them up if you wanted, it doesn't turn the system off, just mutes the bonger. That being said, the cars I've driven with sensors have all been pretty new and e36 PDC was a pretty early system I'd imagine.

Hey ho, if there's no button I'll have work something out one from an e39 as I know they have them.

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
And the reverse light circuit is activated by the switch in the gearbox ;)

I'll have a look at the wiring diagrams, and see what they say.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
I have PDC fitted to my car but as soon as i stick it in reverse i get a constant noise so i know its obviously not working. Is there any way to test the sensors as i could do with out replacing all 5!

Sorry to hijack the thread sphinx but i thought the answer might be of use to you iff you find you have a dud sensor.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the reverse light circuit is activated by the switch in the gearbox ;)

I'll have a look at the wiring diagrams, and see what they say.
Smart arse, you know what I meant :silly
It's OK, no need to look at any diagrams as the answer is....\/\/\/

I have PDC fitted to my car but as soon as i stick it in reverse i get a constant noise so i know its obviously not working. Is there any way to test the sensors as i could do with out replacing all 5!

Sorry to hijack the thread sphinx but i thought the answer might be of use to you iff you find you have a dud sensor.
I take it there is no button as you'd have said otherwise, so that answers that.
I've no idea how to test the sensors, all I know is that if one goes it just 'flat-lines' so unless you get a known good sensor and test each one I wouldn't know.
I tested it before I removed it and it all worked a treat :D can't wait. I've decided I'm going to wire in an e39 button, if nothing else just to 'prove' that it now has PDC when sat inside. :hihi

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Well I did look at the diagrams, but couldn't find anything to do with the PDC anyway.

As for testing, i'd probably do a resistance check on each one, and compare results.

Let us know how you get on with the button :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
i retrofitted factory pdc to my e36 and all i did was spliced into the reverse light wire at the back light to turn the unit on

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, interested in how the E39 switch will blend in. I have factory PDC in the convertible and petrol touring but I retrofitted PDC to the diesel touring...

[url]http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/e36-aftermarket-parking-distance-control-pdc-sensors-t34132/[/URL]

Problem is when I use the towbar I have to pull the fuse out so a switch would be handy!
That's the reason! towing!
I was trying to think of a reason to explain why there should/could be a button and I couldn't think of a good example lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts