BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
i would always recomend a catergory 1 alarm because it combines alarm and 2 way immobilizer, and try and get a reputable name so that your insurance company recognises it, personally i have a viper vx 480 which is a cat 1 with proximity sensor it has battery back up and emmits chirps if anyone gets right upto the car warning them to move away,it is recognised by insurance companys and gives me a discount and cost me £300 fitted, i can have remote start fitted for an extra £150 but dont know whether its worth it just to have my car warm itself up before i get in.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
We fit Toad alarms,

The cat 1 Ai606 is extremely good value for money, has lots of features and is of course a thathcam approved cat 1.

u can get hold of a new unit for around £100 if you want to install yourself.........installation by an approved installer would cost around £200 £250- that includes the cost of the alarm unit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for that slacker-ray. I see your location is berks, where abouts are you? Are you mobile or do you have a shop? Could you PM your details and any more details about the alarm if you have them. Many Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got a viper 1002, think it's the base model (like the old Clifford Matrix 200). It's got dual-shock sensors, remote locking/total closure, ultrasonics, immobiliser, and it does a silent arm/disarm. It was £150 fitted when I lived in Sheffield. A mobile company came and did it in an afternoon. National Vehicle Security if I remember correctly?

I think the 480vx as bmwkev referred to has a two way remote? Maybe that's a different model but the top of the line vipers have a flashing, vibrating, audible signal on the key fob to alert you to your alarm being set off. Personally I live on a main road and a big lorry can set off the shock sensors sometimes so I'm glad I don't have that, but if you don't park right next to your house it seems like a good feature to have.

Good luck with the alarm hunt!

·
Registered
788 Posts
yes sorry mine does have the pager on 1 of the fobs, which gives me a display read out of the details of the alam and vibrates upto a 1000 ft away, telling me if the alarm is activated and whether the doors are locked or open, and it also has total closure and anti-hijack,ultra-sonics and anti jacking to save my wheels,the proximity sensor can be a problem if it isnt set up right as it will chirp everytime someone walks past or parks close to you, but best to be safe than sorry i say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts