BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im new so please take it easy..

My pride and joy 325 tds has a problem, I cant work out what it exactly is.

When going at around 40mph or upwards and i come over a bump in the road it bottoms out from the back... have my dampers gone, springs?? any ideas.. also another thing... on some days it over revs after I have taken my foot of the accelerator... read it may be the throttle control valve on a 328 petrol but is it the same. Thank you all for you input..

Sar

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
BMW are great at covering shock & spring wear, so when you get issues with these 2 items, they are far beoynd shot!

To be getting enough travel to bottom out, I'd say firstly inspect the rear springs, they are common to break. However I think it may be more along the lines of a faulty shock absorber travelling further due to wear and not rebounding quickly and accurately....

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The diesel doesn't have a throttle control valve like on the 328i so that can be ruled out.

As for the noise from the rear, items to check are rear trailing arm bushes, rear shock absorber top mounts, rear springs and rear subframe bushes.

Get the car jacked up onto axle stands and have a good look, :thumbsup

·
Registered
584 Posts
As above there is no throttle control valve.The injector pump is 'fly by wire' with no throttle cable,its all run by the ecu which takes throttle pedal position from a throttle potentiometer that is mounted above the foot pedal,this is a round barrel shape about 2 inches long which has a arm that connects to the pedal.The potentiometer is 'sprung' inside so when you push down on pedal and release it pushes pedal back to tickover position.Check the linkages and also check the pedal where it mounts to floor of car and look for loose or sticking parts of the mechanism.Its held on by 2 nuts and bolts and these may be loose allowing it to move,the bottom one is easy to get at but the top requires thin fingers and good patience.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brilliant, so I have some home work with the shocks:hihi

Not a problem, I have a garage with a ramp so Im gonna have her up in the air and inspecting. As for the throttle position I will investigate the pedal and the sensor above. I will post any findings here.

Thank you guys... I wouldn'd know what to do without bimmerforums.... Im defo an addict now....

Thanks
Sar:thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Brilliant, so I have some home work with the shocks:hihi

Not a problem, I have a garage with a ramp so Im gonna have her up in the air and inspecting. As for the throttle position I will investigate the pedal and the sensor above. I will post any findings here.

Thank you guys... I wouldn'd know what to do without bimmerforums.... Im defo an addict now....

Thanks
Sar:thumbsup

The blessing of access to a ramp, you lucky devil:hihi

Please keep us posted:thumbsup

Be sure to keep your camera to hand, always nice to see photo's of the procedure being carried out:thumbsup

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, Had the car ramped today and the rear springs are fine.... phew... the rear shocks look like they haven't leaked and thats as far as i got before messing around with the angel eyes... Then it was time to sht shop... so I will take some pics sometime this week and show you what it all looks like underneath :embarrassed:embarrassed,,, Its really tidy considering its over 14 years old... very nice... anyhow angel eyes are by far the best mod... and i will take some pics of them and stick em on here....

I have thought about digging deep and getting a full suspension kit and replace all the bushes... any one know of somewhere I can get these and must be a real good set as i dont want to redo them again for a while:hihi....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Powerflex for bushes :thumbsup

How much you got for suspension? Hotuning are cheap or you've got H&R e.t.c upwards
Hi, Not sure really, My plan is to spend as required and i have to budget for other mods aswel, i.e full respray job, leathers, hid kit, etc etc.. so was hoping to spend whilst i earned...

i shouldn have £100 upwards to around a max of £250 ish... is that too low:frown

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Had a real hard look around and its not good news...It never is... I have rear shocks gone so explains the bottoming part.. so am replacing all shocks,

Both mechanisms broken on front so need new ones... anyone know where i can get some... jingling noise coming from rear drivers side when i go over bump... is that the shock or spring thats given up??? looks like back on the ramp.. also my front cooling fan isnt working and I have received a replacemnt fan coupling unit but i cant get the old one off... any ideas.. also thank you for all your help guys...... Thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.