BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, ive got a e36 2.5 m50 engine it was fine i give it new plugs and filters, oil etc. but the day after it ticks over fine but seem to be holding back and have a missfire when on load.ive Had a look over everything seems ok ive have a look at the coils and number 2 was down so bought a new 1 then number 6 went down so i put number 6 into 1 and 1 into 6 it ran fine for 5 mins then missfire come back, so i unpluged the coil one by one and it showed number 3 was down and number 1 and 6 was fine.
Has anyone had this before any common thing i should b looking for thanks guys

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for your reply mate, what do u mean gapping on the plugs. they was the same make and size of the old ones what was init.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i'd check the gap just in case mate. ive bought plugs specific to my car before and found the gap to be out. worth a check.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i pulled the coil packs out the first time 3 of the plugs was covered in oil could this have something to do with it and does any1 know why it would be covered in oil. cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had this, checked the coil packs and they were fine, changed the plugs and 1 was covered in oil from oil in the bore, but it ran the same after. Plugged it into a diagnostic machine and it said the airflow meter, so changed the airflow meter, ran the same.

The thing that solved it was disconnecting the battery for an hour or so. wierd....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i will have a look and check the oil tomo. i will disconnect the battery tomo moring, ive done everything like you have tomti and had no luck hope the battery idea works. cheers for your replys i will let u know how i get on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
where one of the plugs seals as wat looks more like water init but its all dryed out now it ran fine last week but missing again and its smells really bad of fuel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ive tryed it, its still the same and it just made it worse. any chance cud it b the crank sensor causing the problem as i have got a really good spark on every single 1, iv got petrol there, it runs but just misses really bad.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Did you replace the fuel filter too on that mini service?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Perhaps you should try reading the codes. I'm having similar issues because of the O2 sensor. But these symptoms could be down to several thing air-fuel delivery (fuel pump, injectors, MAF, O2 sensor) or ignition (coils, plugs, crank sensor, cam sensor). Not really easy to pin point them.

LE: Forgot to tell you, but you know you can read the codes yourself, without paying a garage for doing it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Perhaps you should try reading the codes. I'm having similar issues because of the O2 sensor. But these symptoms could be down to several thing air-fuel delivery (fuel pump, injectors, MAF, O2 sensor) or ignition (coils, plugs, crank sensor, cam sensor). Not really easy to pin point them.

LE: Forgot to tell you, but you know you can read the codes yourself, without paying a garage for doing it.
how could i read the codes myself

1 - 20 of 36 Posts