BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,as per thread title...pretty sure the head gaskets going as starting to notice more an more mayo on filler cap! so was just wondering if anyone can suggest a good site or shop to buy a new set?
ta :)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Don't rely on anyone telling you the head gasket has gone, get a "sniff test" done to confirm it:thumbsup

Personally I would probably purchase one from Euro Car Parts or German Swedish. Failing that BMW

·
Banned
344 Posts
Hi,as per thread title...pretty sure the head gaskets going as starting to notice more an more mayo on filler cap! so was just wondering if anyone can suggest a good site or shop to buy a new set?
ta :)
Are you 100% sure the head gasket is at fault?

have you had a sniff test or a leak detector test done it?

Are you losing water

mayo underneath the oil cap is to be expected from the weather we are having.........condensation/moisture will cause that and especially if u are making short journeys.
do u have any mayo on the dipstick?

If you need a Head Gasket, then stick with Coopers Payen or Victor Reinz gaskets from ECP.........don't go for the cheap atomic brands and similar.

ECP also do the complete kits and head bolts.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hadnt checked the water for a couple of weeks,and was quite low,so will continue to monitor.i do make quite short journeys but try to give her a good run at least once a week.slight specks of mayo on the neck of dipstick(so thinking probably is just condensation.but it can smoke quite heavily under a shoeing!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also...a thought has just occurred..las time i topped up the water and antifreeze, i think i may have over filled it slightly,it took me a couple of days before i noticed-when i did i drained the excess...but i was quite puzzled as other cars ive had seem to have had an overflow,the beemer doesnt seem to! could this have aggravated the problem?

·
Registered
313 Posts
i would have thought that any excess would have flowed off davz if it was overfilled .. rym's right - definitely do a sniff test. you can get the kits off ebay, or maybe someone local to you might have one you can use!

·
Registered
89 Posts
whats a "Sniff test"... is it like a presure test ?? also is it common for the HG to fail on e36's?

·
Banned
344 Posts
whats a "Sniff test"... is it like a presure test ?? also is it common for the HG to fail on e36's?

Head gaskets can go at any time.........I woudn't really say that the E36's have head gasket problems but what I would say is that they can be prone to cooling problems i.e water pumps, rads, viscous fan failure....when any of those fail it is advised that they are seen to asap and that the car be kept from going in the red. If this happens, then the beemers are prone to HG failure.

but they are generally ok.......unlike most of the Rover built petrol engines. Now they are prone to going through HG's every 30k or so.

A sniff test is chemical test that detects HC's/combustion fumes in the cooling system. Takes 5 mins to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts