BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a newbie and dont know alot about bmw,s so thought i would ask for some advice before i have a go at looking at it myself,,
basically my passenger side window when i open it it drops at the front first out of line and when i try to close it the back comes up first out of line on any other car this would tell me that the glass is loose from the lifting part of the mechanism ,,it has also damaged the seal up the side of the window so it shuts over the seal and not inbetween it....the motor itself is fine and works good....
what should i look out for and is this an easy fix

thanks in advance:thumbsup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Mate-I moved your thread to the correct section and titled it correctly,with your car details,for you this time.In future can you please not post questions in the how-to section.Thankyou

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Mate-I moved your thread to the correct section and titled it correctly,with your car details,for you this time.In future can you please not post questions in the how-to section.Thankyou
yep sorry buddy i realised it was in the wrong section when posted sorry bout that:embarrassed

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
You might have a worn runner, or one of the arms of the window regulator is about to pop out.
You'll need to get the door card off first, 2 screws behind the grab handle, and the trim around the doorpull slides sideways to unlock then lifts straight off.

Plenty of little plastic clips hold the door on, and these need pulling/levering out.

Once thats off, disconnect the tweeter speaker wire, and there should be a plastic vapour barrier to remove.
Behind that you'll see the mechanism.

Grease all the rails and runners whilst you are there, and look for something loose.
It may be a clamp at the bottom of the window glass.
KEEP YOUR FINGERS CLEAR WHEN IT'S MOVING!

If that all fails, there is often some adjustors for the window angle and position.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might have a worn runner, or one of the arms of the window regulator is about to pop out.
You'll need to get the door card off first, 2 screws behind the grab handle, and the trim around the doorpull slides sideways to unlock then lifts straight off.

Plenty of little plastic clips hold the door on, and these need pulling/levering out.

Once thats off, disconnect the tweeter speaker wire, and there should be a plastic vapour barrier to remove.
Behind that you'll see the mechanism.

Grease all the rails and runners whilst you are there, and look for something loose.
It may be a clamp at the bottom of the window glass.
KEEP YOUR FINGERS CLEAR WHEN IT'S MOVING!

If that all fails, there is often some adjustors for the window angle and position.
thankyou will have a go tonight then:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I had the same issues on my compact. It was a knackard regulator, its a know defect. My driverside went a couple of years ago now the passenger side has gone. I am fixing mine tomorrow so i will post up some pics in a how to replace the regulator.

·
Registered
701 Posts
i beleve you get to the adjusters from outside the car. you have to take the rub strips/door trims off and the screws are accesed through two of the holes not sure which ones but there in there sumwhere

·
Registered
995 Posts
Door trim off first - there are two torx screws behind plastic blanking plugs which are behind the door pull handle. The rest is clips, unhook it from the top, lift the trim off and disconnect the speaker. Then the vapour barrier sheet comes off. You need to then check that the white plastic sliders are okay. These slide in the bottom slider channels and the steel ballpins of the regulator can come loose. Make sure these are firmly in.

The angle of the door glass on Saloon/Compact/Touring cars is set by the adjuster bar. This bolts to the rear of the door frame with a 10mm bolt - it's at the back of the door close to where the door trim clips in. Undo this bolt (if it's not already loose) and push the bar downwards - the glass should straighten out. Put some downward pressure on the bar and tighten the 10mm bolt. Use a torch and look up into the door to make sure the glass is actually in the runners - they can come out and run against the outside of the runner.

If you need to remove the door glass, pull the U clips out of the plastic sliders, prise the ballpins from the sliders with a screwdriver and lift the glass out. You will need to remove the top draught seal as well. You will probably break the sliders, so order two new ones from BMW. When refitting use a bit of grease, press the ballpins in and then use molegrips of gas pliers to press them in fully - they'll go in with a 'snap'. Refit the U clips and adjust the glass position.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANKS

to everyone for your input on this problem i started today with the passenger side and found that it is the little white plastic slider that part of the scisser mech attatches to was snapped and the clip was in the bottom of the door so i know what i need for this one
and the drivers side was a bit more complicated but basically it must have been fairly new but the mechanism and the moter was attatched to the door frame with pop rivets (not sure if this is normal) and it had worked its way loose so as you dropped the window it was going completly out of line so i fixed it by drilling out all the rivets and replacing with nuts and bolts so that it is now solid to the door frame ,,and i also managed to save all the rubber seals aswell so im chuffed to say the lease ,,just need to find a breaker now for the white slidder bit for the passenger window

thanks everyone for the tips

1 - 11 of 11 Posts