BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a lot of you knwo im new the the bmw scene! i was wondering what engine mods i can do on the cheap? i see people talking about M50 intake manifold upgrade's, turbo kits and so on!

so far i have a K&N filter and thats it!

Help!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
get a cold air feed on that filter and a heat sheld will help alot.
or a dave f is you can.
also a good service works well ;)
decat etc etc

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
One thing i'd try to do there is fit a pipe between the filter and the MAF to space it away a little further.
That will help with the overall running as too close to the MAF can cause problems.

M50 manifold swaps aren't of much use, as you already have an M50 manifold on it!

I can supply you with a chip for £60 which will be up there is the best £ per bhp mods about.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok guys i will get a feed to the filter sorted on on the weekend! i have some s/s pipe but its to big to fit onto the maf!

as i cant use the wanted section i have put on my sig about the exhaust,

THE END, is that £60 posted and whats sort of increse would i be looking at! and how would i fit it?

thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
That's £60 to your door, ready to go.

This is how you fit one-

http://endtuning.com/chipfitting.html

You should have a siemens ECU, and you can find it in a hole behind a blanking plate, just behind the fusebox.
If you have the time, you might as well do a dry run, and pull the ECU out, open the lid (it'll need some small torx sockets) and check the number printed on the top of the chip.

From memory, it'll be 5113 is white paint, often quite messy too and hard to read!

Power increases are good, I'd expect 16-17bhp, as they do seem to respond better than some of the similar Bosch ECU cars.

The dry run will let you know what you need to do. It's not particularly tricky, but some people get a little worried looking at all the circuits etc!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i would be worried about messing it up is there a chance of bricking the ecu? iirc my ecu has been changed for some reason in the past so im not sure what one is in there when i get a chance then i will take it out and have a gander!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So there is no throttle body changes like on ford!! i know with them i changed my 1.6 tb for a 1.8 tb and ground it back and polished it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts