BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i did mention this in the intro but relized should have made new thread for this prob! sorry:hihi...just got my first bimmer! 1994 320i coupe. im usually ok when it comes to doing small jobs but it soon become apparent that bm's are a bit different to say the least! got it in the garage for a oil service today and all seems good for now! only one thing i can smell a bit of unburned fuel when i stand at the back of the car. any suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've retitled your thread the correct way John...it helps with search tags :thumbsup.
Your problem sound like you are getting more fuel than air mixture. One of the common causes is down to the O2 sensors...it is recommended you change these sensors every 100k miles. Does your garage have access to 'live data' diagnostic equipment?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diagnostic

The printout reads:

"check for DTCs.
DTCs present in engine ECU: 53 02 sensor heater relay curcuit-This code was cleared.
DTCs present in abs ECU: 17 inlet valve fL or power supply-This code was cleared.
81 speed sensor fL open curcuit-unable to clear this fault.
97 speed sensor fL wrong signal-This code was cleared.
132 brake pedal sensor-This code was cleared.
152 warning-hydraulic/pedal sensor-This code was cleared.

Diagnostic outcome:
Unable to clear DTC in abs control unit- static fault present
speed sensor fault, probable faults-sensor unplugged, broken wire, sensor faulty."

when it states "this code was cleared" does that mean the problem has gone or just cleared from the ecu? would i have to get another diagnostic after a few days to see if any come back?

i have had some work done over the last few weeks, disks, pads, handbrake, wishbones and ball joints, bushes, oil sparkplugs and filters done today, dont know if any of these have sensors or not?

and the 2 air inlet pipes going to and from the fuel injection/air filter unit are split , im picking them up from the dealer tomorrow not sure if this or any of the other work would have anything to do with the fault codes or not.......

Oh and after having the disks done the Abs warning light is now on all the time rather than coming on and off throughout the day as it was before..

Thanks again for your info much appreciated:D

John

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ABS Light!

ok so iv changed the FL speed sensor and the ABS light went out right away, however it come back on a few minutes later, took it to the garage and put back on the diagnostic.

the ABS light was off after diagostic but has come on again since! mechanic said he has reset all the error codes and nothing is coming up for the speed sensor or ABS!

it goes off if i restart engine but only for a few minutes.

the only error showing up is:
53 02 sensor heater circuit - open circuit

im changing the 02 sensor this week but could really do with some help with the ABS light.....john.....:eek

i also read this on another website but dont know how much truth is in it!

"ABS WARNING LIGHT COMES ON
MODELS AFFECTED: All with ABS
FAULT: ABS warning light comes on intermittently. Normal troubleshooting procedures find no defect.
CAUSE: If cars have recently had two new tires, or snow tires put on. Sometimes when the car is driven
over 50 MPH.
SOLUTION: Check all four tires on the car, make sure they are the same brand, style, and size. Check if
any of the new tires have substantially more tread than the rest. These differences may cause enough
variance in rolling diameters to confuse the ABS control unit, which intern gives a false signal to the ABS
warning light"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
quick update!

02 sensor changed, speed sensor sorted the ABS out, cleaning the air system and throttle boby sorted the idle prob, all runs sweet as a nut now:D

just need to find a rear diffuser to fit my bumper and can get ready for respray yippee.........

thanks for all the info guys.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.