BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i have noticed that after filling the tank, my car have some problems, the idle change, and sometimes misfire after a long idle period, like when i'm stuck in traffic. the problems go away after one or two days when the fuel goes down. it's weird. Have anyone experienced something similar?

·
Registered
2 Posts
check the air valve in fuel tank if valve are bad or a tube is block the air will not enter the tank and car don't run normally.
sorry about my bad english but this is not my native language.

·
Registered
35 Posts
when you fill up stop at first click dont try too put more fuel in as it can enter evap system and charcoal canister that's part of the emissions system and render it ineffective causing problems

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
check the air valve in fuel tank if valve are bad or a tube is block the air will not enter the tank and car don't run normally.
sorry about my bad english but this is not my native language.
I always thought the fuel cap had a small hole to allow air in, but mikaspt may be on the right track, when it's been happening, release the fuel cap and if there is a inrush of air that's a sign the tank can't breathe, if that happens the fuel pumps can suck so hard that the tank can deform and never hold the full amount again.
Solution is easy, find hole in cap and clean, or a new fuel cap.

On the other hand, it could be a fill of dodgy petrol, any water would cause problems.

Never heard of gonchy's thing - the car makers presume the customers will do all sorts of daft things :)

Have a look around on here about some of the code readers, the misfire might be recording something indicating where the problem might be, then you could catch it before it gets worst.
Even for peace of mind, if no error codes then nothing serious...

I once replaced a 3ltr Capri fuel pump with a pattern part - rather than the real Ford one, when hot the pump wasn't up to providing enough petrol making an odd misfire, of course the last thing to suspect was the new pump, when everything else had been checked twice I got a Ford fuel pump, misfire went away :) Long hard lesson...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts