BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
as you requested ronnie iv posted in forum....

Iv heard theres only one ronnie who knows bmws well

hey please can you advise me

I had a knock on my car , basically the passenger wheel hit a curb at approx 20-25mph , no damage on bodywork just the wheel took the hit as it the steering was at approx 2'oclock.

afterwards i was bit upset but hey its only metal. anyway the car began to pull to the left . so i thought the wheel was defintly bent so I replaced it,

I also went I took the wheel off that there was mark were the tire had hit the body

however I still feel that something else IE lower arm trackrods etc need replacing , I will get the tracking/wheel alignment done once the main job is complete

what should i start replacing first in regards to the cheapest or easiest way ,
Please help

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Take the car to a centre that does the four wheel laser alignment and whilst it's having the "FREE" check done ask them if they can see anything bent. Also ask if you can have a look under the car whilst it's on the ramp so that you can have a look too. Some garages get funny about this and may try to tell you you're not allowed due to Health and Safety but it's a load of rubbish so long as you are accompanied by a member of staff:thumbsup

I wouldn't advise you just start replacing parts as it could get very expensive and still not resolve the problem:frown

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I've had my KFC....:hihi

Getting a four wheel alignment done first will be a good idea like mentioned as they will know from the reading what is out and most likely to be bent :thumbsup

Otherwise jack the car up and try comparing parts from side, pay attention to the steering rack and rack ends.

Where exactly was the mark on the body? I wouldn't mind betting there's one the other side, you looked yet?

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers lads -

I have not checked the otherside hope its ok,,, do you think I should just replace the lower arms with all bushes on both sides then get alignment done - otherwise I will have to pay for the alignment twice-
(hope its not the steering rack) oh what about the anti roll bar
the cars mileage is 125000 - so the arm bushes may be on there way - also before the knock the steering did NOT feel 100% - I mean it felt easy to turn left than right sort of

also at present if I let go of the steering on fairly level straight road the car travels in a straight line

HOWEVER the steering wheel is off at 1'oclock... . could the hub be damged -
is it best to rock the wheels at 12-6 & 9-3 clock face positions.

just 1 main question lads -
do you think that due to german engineering the car may actually be fine apart from a needing a new wheel & 4wheel alignment . is this possible or should something be defintly bent at the approx speed of 20-30mph ..

I need help ... one thing i just thought of my MOT is due end of febuary - shall i see if it passes.....

PS I love my bimma

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
It would be worth giving the wheels a rock like you mentioned, get a friend to have a look for play while you rock or vise versa, also compare the suspension arms and rack ends to each other.

If the car doesn't now pull then you may be lucky and just need the tracking doing(alignment), it will be worth checking out though otherwise you may wear your tyres out prematurely.

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok ronnie I got a feeling your right,, I think i will start by getting the tracking done and hope for the best-- suppose its the cheapest and easiest job to start with - if that dosent help I will probably take it for the MOT test and see what they come up with..

however I got a feeling I will eventually have to replace the lower arms / hub / possibly steering rack and anti roll bar,track rods, I will probaly start with the lower arms
but this great weather were having is too great ,
I wish I had a heated pitt/garage....

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
however I got a feeling I will eventually have to replace the lower arms / hub / possibly steering rack and anti roll bar,track rods, I will probaly start with the lower arms
Be surprised if you have to change that much, you REALLY would have to have had a bad one to do that much damage :hihi

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know just got a bit carried away there,
I have booked the car this saturday for alignment check,and will take it from there.

in any case as the car has now done 125000 , would you say its time for new lower arms including all bushes? thanks

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
cheers lads -

I have not checked the otherside hope its ok,,, do you think I should just replace the lower arms with all bushes on both sides then get alignment done - otherwise I will have to pay for the alignment twice-
(hope its not the steering rack) oh what about the anti roll bar
the cars mileage is 125000 - so the arm bushes may be on there way - also before the knock the steering did NOT feel 100% - I mean it felt easy to turn left than right sort of

also at present if I let go of the steering on fairly level straight road the car travels in a straight line

HOWEVER the steering wheel is off at 1'oclock... . could the hub be damged -
is it best to rock the wheels at 12-6 & 9-3 clock face positions.

just 1 main question lads -
do you think that due to german engineering the car may actually be fine apart from a needing a new wheel & 4wheel alignment . is this possible or should something be defintly bent at the approx speed of 20-30mph ..

I need help ... one thing i just thought of my MOT is due end of febuary - shall i see if it passes.....

PS I love my bimma

I doubt it will be the steering rack, a bent suspension arm could pull the steering off but if your steering was 'weird' before then you should check it.

Regards your main question, its possible that all is ok, however I would suspect a bent lower track control arm and possibly wishbone.

However there are a variety of things it could be.
bent suspension leg etc

The best thing to do as others have said is to replace the wheel and get a 4 wheel alignment done.

If the place is a good one and uses one of the new fangled laser alignment machines they may be able to tell which part is bent from the geometry readings.

But the first thing you need to do is....take the wheel off and visually inspect the whole area!!

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
latest update I took the car for aligment check on 10/1,,however the alignment technician was ill - so its the car is now booked for this saturday

NEW UPDATE -damaged wheel already replaced
Ive took the wheel off yesterday to inspect any visable damage, nothing found really.

However i did notice by using a measuring tape that the gap between the OSF wheel edge and the wing edge is less than than the other side - also when the I full lock the steering to the left it rubs/touches the body-

what is the most likely part to be bent - I was thinking lower control arm - suspension leg

any ideas guys??

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guys

just got back from the garage , finally worked it out the problem , ready are u sure, it was the lower arm , when the garage put the car on the lift we found out the lower arm was bent, well bent , i couldnt see this when I jacked the car at home because I was looking from the side of the car , but when you look at the car from the front lifted up , it was clear to see that the lower arm was bent ,

so finally I can sort it , so for anyone who hits a curb at 30mph , it will probably be your lower arm thats bent.
To be honest I was going to replace this right at the begining because its the easist part to replace . thank s again ronnie and da crew

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Good to hear you got to the bottom of it, the arms are not too bad to do, I do have a DIY on it but I've got to put it together first :rofl

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nearly there

cheers ronnie
oh nearly forgot the guy at the garage was very helpful only because he thought I was going to get the work done by them , no way would I waste money on fairly simple jobs as replacing control arms.

the quote he gave was £288 , this was the price for both sides and tracking .
I think this is not too bad, but I have not got money to burn so i will do the job myself then just get tracking from the garage if required.

Im going to replace the control arms on both sides for obvious reasons.

I cant wait to replace the parts and feel the difference - Iv been missing my car.

I have had a quote from Eurocarparts for both left and right control arms including the rear lollipop bushes on the control arms they want £145 for the german quality ones OR £96 for the cheap ones

however there are some places who want £90 for one arm ,

If anyone can help find the best deal I would be most greatful , I would only consirder qaulity parts. like FEBI equivilent

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOooo finally got the car back from the garage on saturday steering issue fixed (bent lower arm)- drove for around 2 hrs then heard knocking from engine - discovered the both engine mounts broke couldnt believe it -n e way had a go putting new ones on but failed , so back in the garage should be getting car back today,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts