BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help - what can be done to reduce or eliminate the rattling from rear parcel shelf

when the music volume is low the shelf will vibrate and rattle- so it means I have to always have the volume higher so I cant hear the rattle.

anyone have any solutions or fixes other than dynomatting, Iv atttempted to wedge things from under but no joy

please help any ideas

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think it's a case of taking the top parcel shelf out and putting some foam/sponge between that and the metal chassis. Bit of a job but, at least it will elliminate this area.

If the coupe is the same as the saloon there is a gap that varies from 1-2 inches across the width/depth. I was fishing around for some amp mounting points and discovered the distance between the trim and metalwork

I suspect this is where your rattling is coming from.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: awais318iS

·
Registered
217 Posts
I wouldn't put wood there :rofl myself.
Any sort of damping you put there should not be loose, or this will just give you more rattles.

Try a curtain/fabric shop they should have some foam/sponge sheets - for a couple of quid. :thumbsup

·
Registered
217 Posts
No probs, is it actually the shelf rattling (put your hand on the shelf and see if it stops in a particular area) or just the sound appearing to come from there?

This should tell you where to put the damping.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
yeh ~I know about the gaps ,iv tried to wedge various bits of wood , but I have not got that much foam so may have to find a old bed or sofa

cheers
What might be an option is using foam carpet underlay . I use it for packaging glass items for postage. Works out around 4 or 5 quid a square yard .
Can be cut with scissorsto the shape required too.

·
Registered
749 Posts
i get this try carpet underlay stik it down, and in the boot thinking something like tetroseal as this acts as a sound damping from road niose so migh work the same way
dug up a bit of a old post lol from feb 2009 im guessing hes fixed it by now :hihi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.