BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i have 2 problems 1 is irritating and 1 is slightly worrying me
i am fairly new to BMW's and to D.I.Y on cars so sorry for bad explanations...
problem 1 (irritating) when i brake there is a scratching noise which is intermittent. (only when braking though) it sounds like it is coming from rear driver side. i changed all the brake pads and discs around the car but still problem there? any ideas

prblem 2(worrying) i did a service on the car myself last week oil, oil filter, and spark plugs. however on taking the spark plugs out there was a slight coating of oil on them. my friend who is a mechanic said it is normal as when pulling the plugs out they get dragged through a bit of oil.. however i dont trust his judgement much as i have always been t old oil on plugs is bad?? is he right or wrong is it normal? it wasnt alot was just a slight coating.

FYI car was running smooth before service like a purring kitten and it still sounds like it after the service. anything to worry about?

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
What do you mean by slight coating ?

Is it the part thats inside the cylinder, or the white ceramic on the outside of the cylinder ?

·
Registered
701 Posts
ok the pads could be just bedding in i get a feeling from mine as if there grinding but there not and it clears after a few mile. if they stop you fine just keep and eye on them for a few mile see if they get better.

as for the plugs im no mechanic but from past experience they dont normaly have oil on them. yes they can becopme carboned up but as far as dragging them through oil, i carnt see how they could the pistoins barrels only get fuel and air into them unless you have some seals or gaskets gone. this experience is mainly from motorbikes 2 and 4 stroke from 125cc up to 1000cc same principle in the big bikes as cars. you can get wet plug from a rich mixture ewhich on a car would indicate the lambda/oxy sensor.

you say she runs fine so tbh mate dont fix what aint broke. dont worry too much about things or youl end up going nuts. when your listning for things youl notice them. dont worry and enjoy your bmw.

if your in dout about anything take it to a independant good bmw mechanic for a dinosis check and a quick look over

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ferret: it was like a glazing from the tip up to about half the plug including the white bit.
drew: i worry alot :s i love driving it. im a bit anxious coz i live in hereford and im driving to scotland next month up to fort william 500+ miles in one day.
the noise on the brakes was happening before i changed them and has carried on since changing them.
again FYI the oil level has not gone down if there was a seal or gasket gone the level would drop surely?

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
So it's outside the engine, then that would indicator the seals around the spark plug holes.

That would require removing the whole rocker cover, so you may aswell replace the rocker cover gasket at the same time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this may sound dull but is that as simple as removing the leads and breather hose then unbolting the rocker cover and lifting off? do i have to take the spark plugs out for that? (m42 engine)

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Spark plugs can stop in - And yes, it is that simple.

I'll let someone who has done this job give you any hints or tips as i've never worked on this engine before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts