BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya like the title says really i have found out that my car pushes around 115-117bhp standard and was woundering how to or even if a remap would be worth it

thanks

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
You would get about 11bhp with a chip, a sharper throttle, and it'll cost you £60 and you'll be able to fit it yourself.
Unlike an exhaust, which sounds "faster" but only has slight improvements, you'll feel more with a chip, but is pretty much invisible.
Chip fitting is pretty easy, you just need to unplug the old one, and fit the replacement into the socket.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the email, so will i notice much if then it say on or site that it goes from115bhp to 126bhp so will that make it 0-60 faster than 10.9 and top speed alittle more, im look at trying to get it to 140bhp so it like the is engine

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's what im after something abit more nippier with a nice sound and some nice looks about it, without over doing it, lol. would it cost much and would it be easy to swap to that m42 engine? and is it just an easy swap? will the ecu unit and wiring need to be done or can i just swap the engines?

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
I don't think so at all, as it is still 4cyl to 4cyl. I believe you'll need the exhaust manifolds too, but most of the rest of the parts are the same.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E36-318is-M42-16-VALVE-1-8-lt-COMPLETE-ENGINE-/250669362769?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5d0eee51#ht_500wt_715

£275, and the engines probably will turn up cheaper, as a lot of ebay parts selling is fishing for someone who needs a new engine that day to get thier car back (there is a similar engine listed at just under £500, but that may stay unsold for months)

Doing a conversion rather than a swap means you would need to check for extra parts needed such as the exhaust manifold, maybe the full exhaust etc.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
would it be cheaper to buy the hole car instead, lol. i have a bmw specalist nea where i live in ashford so might be worth calling them

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i just got new mot and new tax on mine and already spend alot on engine parts thermostat, car alarm ect, and just paid another 12month insurance so i might just finsh doing this up making it nippier and make it look nice and sell it when it all done, i love the shape of this car.

PS is it true that if you take out the clutch fan and put and electric fan in you gain a few extra horse's aswell?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh ok then, well i think your chip well help me, ive got rid of the spare tyre to save karb waight was thinking about induction kit but they dnt do to much whats so ever and a decat to back box kit

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
OK, what you'd need to do next is take out the ECU behind the fusebox / battery and gather all the numbers from the top.
Once you have that, send me a PM or an email and I'll be able to create a tuned version of the chip you have installed, and post that out to you.
There's a link from the EndTuning homepage and the chip info page that shows you how to fit a chip.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool cheers, well if there's nething else i can do do to make it a bit more nippier then please let me know cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts