BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically i had taken a couple of breather pipes off of the car to repair them they had been of for a few days i put them back on today and ran the car for a while, i smelt burning and there was smoke from the exhaust!!

after checking inside the oil filler cap there is a white mayo like substance, i'm aware that this can mean HG failure.

is it possible that condensation has entered the engine through the intake manifold as i have had the pipes off and this is the reason for the smoke and white substance, or is it more likly to be the HG?

Either way what options do i have now?

Also i dont want to take the car to a garage i'd like to solve this one on the drive!! :thumbsup

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
It's unlikely it would just turn up without an overheat first.
I think most HG problems start with a slow coolant leak and then an overheat rather than quickly appearing.
I'd run the engine incase it is just condensation, or oil fumes from the breather pipes, and then you'd need to smell the radiator header tank.
You'll either get a stale air / sweet coolant smell which is OK, or an obvious smell of exhaust gasses which is bad.
Look for a constant stream of bubbles coming through the rad, or an untraceable coolant loss too.
The mayo / oil water emulsion turns up on most cars that have little use, I'd say anything more than a teaspoon full on the cap is cause for concern.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's unlikely it would just turn up without an overheat first.
I think most HG problems start with a slow coolant leak and then an overheat rather than quickly appearing.
I'd run the engine incase it is just condensation, or oil fumes from the breather pipes, and then you'd need to smell the radiator header tank.
You'll either get a stale air / sweet coolant smell which is OK, or an obvious smell of exhaust gasses which is bad.
Look for a constant stream of bubbles coming through the rad, or an untraceable coolant loss too.
The mayo / oil water emulsion turns up on most cars that have little use, I'd say anything more than a teaspoon full on the cap is cause for concern.
the engine didnt get hot only got warm, and there is no loss of coolant, would it be wise to do and oil service and coolant change (as they havent been done in a while) and hope this solves the problem.

the only smell i could smell was burning

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
This is where experience in old cars comes in handy, as there is a difference between burning rubber, burning wiring, burning coolant and burning oil!

Electrical stuff tends to smell quite acrid, coolant either has an odd spicy smell when hot/boiling off something or possibly sweet if burning, with a dense white smoke (they inject antifreeze into exhaust manifolds for smoke screen generators).
Burning oil has a smell of it's own, hard to describe, quite a heavy smell and blueish smoke.

·
Registered
992 Posts
If the car doesnt really get used much and only run for a few mins everyother day then i`ll say its condensation.Also if theres mayo on the dipstick thats another sign that the HG has gone

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, the burning smell was more like a rubber smell, not plesant at all.

i'll check the dipstick i'm hoping this isnt all that bad :thumbsup

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are worried then get a block test done-You can buy the kits off ebay for around £40(if anyone knows cheaper then please let me know too) :thumbsup This will tell you for sure if the HG has gone

·
Registered
241 Posts
thanks guys, the burning smell was more like a rubber smell, not plesant at all.

i'll check the dipstick i'm hoping this isnt all that bad :thumbsup
Rubber as in when you burn tires? That smells niiiiice, or is tht just me?

I checked my oil the other day and had a very small amount of mayo on the oil cap and a tiny bit on the dip stick. I only use my car a small amount and i am certain it just a bit of condensation
I'd say take them for a long run, if you can, can't see it being HG personally, as said, takes overheatin usually. Like having your entire coolant supply drop onto the motorway at 70mph, in the 3rd lane, and then overheating, and cutting out =/

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You can get a sniffer test done at a garage or you can get a kit from halfrauds

Reactions: TonyB-mw-Rown

·
Registered
35 Posts
i would just buy a compression tester anyway as they are handy tools to have around and really easy to use and that will tell you straight away if you have any compression issues ie head gasket blown,i dont think you`re hg has got but worth a test,i got mine from halfords for £25 and it works fine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Basically i had taken a couple of breather pipes off of the car to repair them they had been of for a few days i put them back on today and ran the car for a while, i smelt burning and there was smoke from the exhaust!!

after checking inside the oil filler cap there is a white mayo like substance, i'm aware that this can mean HG failure.

is it possible that condensation has entered the engine through the intake manifold as i have had the pipes off and this is the reason for the smoke and white substance, or is it more likly to be the HG?

Either way what options do i have now?

Also i dont want to take the car to a garage i'd like to solve this one on the drive!! :thumbsup
Hi there i had a similar problem thought HG had gone,,as i was loosing coolant and had mayo under the oil filler cap...Mine was a leaky rad and the fact i only drive 5 miles per day and its been well below freezing hence not burning of the moisture.Since ive cleaned it out and the weather has been milder no mayo back but i still have the rad leak which im doing this weekend.good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts