BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post as a new member. I am about to replace the cylinder head gasket on my 318i and was wondering if there is a set mileage that the cam chain should be replaced at. There is no rattle or anything and I am going to inspect the sprokets and the chain for wear whilst I have the head removed. If everything looks ok should I replace the tensioner or do you think I should be ok to leave the existing in place. The car has covered 110,000 miles to date.
Cheers
Jez

·
Banned
344 Posts
Hi this is my first post as a new member. I am about to replace the cylinder head gasket on my 318i and was wondering if there is a set mileage that the cam chain should be replaced at. There is no rattle or anything and I am going to inspect the sprokets and the chain for wear whilst I have the head removed. If everything looks ok should I replace the tensioner or do you think I should be ok to leave the existing in place. The car has covered 110,000 miles to date.
Cheers
Jez
Chains are meant to be for the life of the car.

but when ever we do head gasket, etc where the head has to come off, we advise that the chain and tensioners, rails be replaced. They are cheap on the 4 pots.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.