BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help to find out if Coupe rear lights will fit my convertible, Ive read somewhere that the coupe and convertible are the same but the saloons wont fit on a convertible. Is this correct??

Thanks in advance

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I need help to find out if Coupe rear lights will fit my convertible, Ive read somewhere that the coupe and convertible are the same but the saloons wont fit on a convertible. Is this correct??

Thanks in advance
Most things coupe and convertible are the same.

Double check this with Ralph the meet crew bossman as I'm sure he may be able to confirm this.:thumbsup

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,133 Posts
I had toruble with this mate, the coupe lights do fit BUT the wiring is different i think... Ask RJB328I about this as i gave him my coupe lights to fit on his vert and they didnt work

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I had toruble with this mate, the coupe lights do fit BUT the wiring is different i think... Ask RJB328I about this as i gave him my coupe lights to fit on his vert and they didnt work
Ah that's what I remember but this is just a joy of swapping lights because I had issues fitting my M3 style rear lenses that I bought brand new from Euro Car Parts:thumbsup

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers for the replies, notsure what to do know as im not very good with wiring.

Ive also heard that changing the lights cause fault warnings but mine doesnt have the computer to monitor faults so that wont be a problem.

notsure if it makes any difference but the lights are from a 1996 328I coupe and being fitted to a 1995 318 convertible.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
cheers for the replies, notsure what to do know as im not very good with wiring.

Ive also heard that changing the lights cause fault warnings but mine doesnt have the computer to monitor faults so that wont be a problem.

notsure if it makes any difference but the lights are from a 1996 328I coupe and being fitted to a 1995 318 convertible.
Have you tried to fit them yet? Come across the problem then post it up mate... Should Fit no prob....

Reactions: c054

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not yet mate struggling to find the time to do them with work and the bad weather but i suppose i have untill the summer comes to fit them as wont use the car till then but as soon as i get round to it fingers crossed they will fit and work with no probs but if not ill post the problem.

cheers to all for you help.

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
All you have to do, is unplug the connector on your current cluster, and plug it into the new one - That way, you'll know if you have to re-wire them. You don't actually have to take out the old one first just to test it.

As for fitting to the actual car, they will fit !

·
Registered
992 Posts
Im having the same probs.Got some m3 rear lights and only the left side works but if i then put the right hand light in i get brake come pn but then the brake light on the other side wont work so the wiring on the right hand side must be diffent

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
No i did that and the fuses for the brake lights and reversing lights kept on blowning.My car is a saloon so dont know if the wiring is diffent

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi i had a similar problem with my right hand side.Mine is a saloon i brought two new rear light clusters and problem solved.I dont know if yours would be the same ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I connected an M3 with check control into my 318is and having the same issue but I managed to rewire some of the wire and now they are working just fine for all the lights. There are pins on the M3 light that the socket do not have a female pin for and I happened to have an extra M3 harness which I cut the socket and took out the female pin and put inside my 318is socket.

Alot of work but now everything works as it should be. I managed to connect a third brake light as well. The 318is didn't have one. If it will help I will post up a diagram of the rewiring and post here. Give me till tomorrow. Maybe it will help the OP or someone else here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts