BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya guys in stuck on this one and nt sure whats best for my car, do i get a KnN cone induction kit or do i opt for the KnN panel filter thatgoes straight into my car? if so whats the difference? thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
i have a k&n panel filter on mine mate, seems ok, but you dont get that nice sound from it. i think the proper induction kit was better on my other 325i...
your best getting one with a heat sheild though rather than one that just sticks on the end of the intake pipe as they suffer from power sap through drawing in hot air.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
K&N Cone Filter works best with a heat shield installed. If you get a panel filter, you won't get the induction noise which comes with an induction kit. You also won't have the lack of restriction that a cone filter would get; say a Cone claims to give a BHP boost of 5 - A panel filter would at a push give 1. Even so, BHP boosts from a panel OR a cone will be highly unlikely; although the throttle response is definitely likely to improve!

If you need to get a heat shield for a cone, talk to gunner1 [forum member] who makes them. Then check in the BMW How-To section for a guide I wrote on installing that same shield! :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If you use the search feature and search "gunner1" you'll find a thread he wrote on induction kit heat shields. Enquire within! :thumbsup

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
somy car is 117bhp whats the most i can get from it? im no im not gonna get much more but just want to make a small difference like mak it a bit more nppy from the start

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
There really isn't a lot you can do at all. You can get an induction kit for a more responsive throttle. You can get a good exhaust system [my vote is with Scorpion] to give a better rear end noise; don't know if it makes the car faster - you'll have to decide for yourself. Give the car a good regular service, with only the best of products [NGK Spark Plugs, Castrol Magnatec 0w30 Oil, etc.] You could try using a higher octane fuel, such as Super Unleaded from Tesco - Personally, I'd say get V-Power from Shell; I found it to make the throttle even better and slightly improve the top end speed.

You should also look at uprating the brakes for faster and better stoppage. :thumbsup

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would a 318is engine go into my car then as i know this will be the best way for power gais but inall honesty im happy with the power i got just want to make it sound nice and save some seconds of the 0-60 time standard is 11.9s and ids be happy wit around 10, lol

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
A more responsive throttle means an improved 0-60, IMO. For better noise you need an induction kit and a new exhaust system.

Yes, a 318iS would go in, but it involves sourcing a new loom to go with it and a bunch of different things. RYM had converted his 318iS coupe to an M3 Coupe. His 325tds Touring is now an M3 Touring... That's the same M3 Engine! :thumbsup

If you can afford the conversion, do it. All E36 engines will drop in without any modifications, but it involves a lot of new parts and work. Have a look in the conversion section of the forum, and you'll get a lot of information about it! :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hmmm, I don't know if they do remaps on these 4-Pots... :hihi

Worth enquiring, maybe?

Try out my other suggestions first and see how happy you are, as like I said there is not a lot at all you can do to your current engine to make it mega fast.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im not really wanting mega fast just a bit more nippy ness,i head some where that u can change the trottle bod sensor thingand that does something lol

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Not sure what that means, but don't fall for the chips you can get on ebay promising power gains. They will completely knacker the exhaust!!

Try a K&N, don't forget the heat shield. Get a decent exhaust system - Scorpion or Remus should do it. Give the car a good service with NGK Spark Plugs and Castrol Magnatec 0w30 Oil. That should keep you happy for now. Let me know! :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
does using 0w30 oil make a difference then? coz i use 15w one that te book says lol, what about a lighter fly wheel and clutch

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hadn't even considered fly-wheel and clutch; probably too much effort to be worth it on these 4-Pot cars! :frown

0w30 is thinner and flows more freely, IIRC. I'm really not clued up on why it's better, but I know it IS better. :hihi

1 - 20 of 24 Posts