BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here put a 60mm drop on standard shocks is this safe? Pics would be great or even what 40mm drop looks like on standard shocks I have an 316 e36 saloon if that helps many thanks

·
Registered
998 Posts
Iv been told you can only lower the car by 40mm with the standard shocks fitted other wise they will pop the seal

·
Registered
387 Posts
As above never ever lowwer a car by 60mm with standard shocks on, theres far to much stress on them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Heres a picture of mine dropped 40mm all round on standard shocks but with 17" wheels on.
I have no trouble in getting over speed humps with just me in the car but with the wife and kids in it is a different matter!!!!
heres a couple of pics for you to look at (there is not much room between the tyre wall and the inside of the arch mind you!!)

hope this helps

·
Registered
998 Posts
Skoda169 nice bmw you have there but you should get rid of them chavy rear lights

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 316i compact is lowered 60mm but not on the original shocks

With 18" Alloys

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Skoda ur car looks really smart! Love how it sits got a pic of the front arch as that is were I think the e36 sit toooo high lol wud put pics up of mine but cnt do it on iPhone :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
Skoda169 nice bmw you have there but you should get rid of them chavy rear lights
I know i know i know everytime i post a pic you tell me the same thing Devonlad:lol i will get round to putting some m3 lights in one day soon i hope

E36Lister I wanted to lower mine 60mm at the front but couldn't buy just 2 shocks and springs (could only get a kit of 4 springs and 4 shocks)
will post a close up pic of the front tomorrow (loads of room in there compared to the rear though
cheers Skoda

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lookin good! Thanks skoda. Now were to get the cheapest springs (I'm only 21 and have a flat and BMW budgets tight lol) ?????

·
Registered
998 Posts
look on ebay mate but make sure you buy ones for a 4 cylinder car and not 6 cylinder

·
Registered
135 Posts
As promised E36Lister here is a pic of my front wheel lowered 40mm on standard shock (still loads a room in there for a 60mm drom me thinks!!)
cheers K

·
Registered
995 Posts
40 is as low as you want to go. Even with shorter shocks, with a 60mm drop you're on the bump stops and it doesn't do the inner wings/strut tops any good at all - basically, the tyre sidewalls and the body flex are the 'suspension'.
Use coilovers if you must have it that low (but why would you??).

·
Registered
172 Posts
i lowered my old saloon 60mm front/ 40mm rear and standard shocks with 17in wheels and had no problems at all in the whole time i owned it! see pics:
as standard on day of purchase then after being lowered

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can get you a few photos of my E36 316 if you like? Mine has been lowered 60mm on the front using KW springs and shocks...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
you could get some hottuning coilovers and go as low or as high as you want as for just springs its £100-£120 and the coilovers are £150 then you have a choice of hieght

1 - 20 of 21 Posts