BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just got hold of an L Reg E36 316i that is having similar problems. From different people i hear so many different things so i just ended up taking to a garage where they plugged it in to a computer which told them the 'o2 sensor' and ....... what ever the air filter goes on to (told u i was a novice!) He took out a spark plug and it was black too telling he it was running too rich an it was these two things causing it to run lumpy and fluctuate when idle. :eek Also the Catalytic Converter is on it way out too (the list really goes on!!!!)

This is the question, he told me that the engine was not a new one but an old version so as hard as i am looking for these parts second hand (Too expensive Brand new) i cant find them for my 316i 1600cc model. 318's apper to be every where tho!

???Would the parts i am looking for from a late E30 be compatabe with my early 316i???

If not, where (if any where) can i get hold of them???

Many Thanks in Advance,

sorry for the essay legenth post!:)

·
Registered
401 Posts
with a bit of research you will find all the parts you need, if you write up a list of what you need and post up im sure a few of the members(me included) will have a scout about for you to try and find what you need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just came across a bmw 318i e36 complete exhaust system from a 1996 touring. Would this be compatable with my 1994 316i saloon??

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi there, i wouldnt go buying used lambda sensors, Ive been there and done that and had to buy a new one in the end anyhow,

At my place of work we distribute NGK (albeit prodominately motorcycle spares) but ive bought a lambda and plugs from there, the plugs were a stock item but the sensor took about 8 working days.

have a look on this website and pick out your car, give me a part number and i'll get you a price on the sensor and plugs (including a bit of discount) the you can compare them to see if your being overcharged :thumbsup

http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers ron, that's the best price I have seen so far! Kwik Fit quoted me about 300 quid! Im also after an air flow meter (i think that's what its called, the air filter goes on the end of it) lol..

I have checked around but any I find are for the 1.8 versions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi again, I checked that ebay link but unless im reading the listings wrong they appear to be for the 1.8.

Would be be ok to fit a 1.8 air flow meter to my 1.6 model???

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Did the guy check the engine over for any air leaks? the engine breather pipes, vacuum pipes and induction pipes should be free from splits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all. Just an update. Got hold of a mass air flow meter for 17.99 off ebay in the end. Probably going to get the complete exaust system including the cat convertor off there too. Saw one goin brand new for about 160 including p&p. Is this a fair price?

Thanks brnys85, I had a look for the sensor and think I found the part im after. If you could get me a price it would be much appricated.

Engine Type M40B16

Part No OZA572-E8

Stock No 0209

Cheers!

Once I actually get all this stuff together how much should I expect to be charged to get it all fitted + have the rubber pipes checked as I hear cracks in them can also cause trouble.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
160 for the whole lot cat & exhaust (including delivery). The MAF should be compatible (i hope) as i told him the year and model of my 316. All i need now is the o2 sensor and a honest garage to out it all together for an honest price, lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts