BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1994 E34 525 TDS Steering Wheel shaking when cornering

Hey guys,

When i go round a left corner from 50MPH+ the steering wheel shakes, up to a point when going round a corner at 70MPH, it is hard to keep hold of.

My first thought it tie rods, but does anyone know another reason?

I had a quick look around the ball joints etc, and cant find any play anywhere. the only thing i did notice was that the left (n/s) damper boot is worn, and is leaking a bit. Would this cause the problem?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I don't think the shock will be the cause of it,I have 94 tds as well and I ran mine unknowingly until I replaced shocks all round with no oil at all in n/s front and had no problems,excluding any bushes that are failing and the wheel is bolted up tight,take the wheel off and check the tyre does not have a bulge on sidewall thats catching some where on inner wing and check the wheel is not buckled.Might be an idea to get it balanced to rule that out as it seems odd it occurs at 50mph and not before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think the shock will be the cause of it,I have 94 tds as well and I ran mine unknowingly until I replaced shocks all round with no oil at all in n/s front and had no problems,excluding any bushes that are failing and the wheel is bolted up tight,take the wheel off and check the tyre does not have a bulge on sidewall thats catching some where on inner wing and check the wheel is not buckled.Might be an idea to get it balanced to rule that out as it seems odd it occurs at 50mph and not before.
ok thanks :thumbsup

The tyre has only been on there a few months (ran over a bit of someones exhaust :frown ) so should be balanced. will have have a look and check anyway.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
It could be a number of small issues;

- steering joints (depending on your setup)
- worn ball joints, main front end suspension bushes

With buses and ball joints they can appear fine when the car is up in the air and when its on teh road under road conditions and driving loads.

I woudl also want to inspect the hub, using a run out gauge as undetectable bent hubs from normal driving conditions can cause a lot of issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be a number of small issues;

- steering joints (depending on your setup)
- worn ball joints, main front end suspension bushes

With buses and ball joints they can appear fine when the car is up in the air and when its on teh road under road conditions and driving loads.

I woudl also want to inspect the hub, using a run out gauge as undetectable bent hubs from normal driving conditions can cause a lot of issues.
ok cheers.

the hubs are different, as i changed the whole of the front strut (both sides) and its still doing it.

think i'll just put it down as worn ball joints and not worry about it... :thumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.