BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought 94 520i 78k (nice tidy car drives great). Full BM SH.
Had it serviced last week.

I seemed to getting near 50 miles to a tenner (one day I got 30 miles from a tenner of fuel) haven't really been blasting the car around either.

Is this normal for a 520i?

I have noticed if the cars parked in the garage and it's started gives a strong petrol smell after a bit but can't smell anything on the street.

I think the oxygen sensor may need changing? can anyone give me any advise thanks.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Mani

·
Registered
97 Posts
smells (or sounds like) you got a petrol leak, when is the mot due? my '91 520i just failed on 2 leaking petrol tank vent pipes that are clipped round the front and back of the tank, the clips fill with water and rot these metal pipes check those and any other fuel pipes under the car, also have a good snoop round under the bonnet with the engine going you may find somthing there. the petrol smell is unlikely to have anything to do with the oxygen sensor and im assuming the car runs as well as it did when you were getting good economy.:thumbsup

·
Registered
97 Posts
if you are careful you can do it without disconnecting any main pipes or wires. jack the back of the car up and put it on stands, use a trolley jack under the tank to lower it by 4-6 inches replace each of the two vent pipes with 2 metre lengths of 5.5 or 6mm rubber petrol hose (halfords £4.00 per meter), dont remove the old metal pipes because these are good for cable tying the new rubber pipes to. i found it easier to remove the rear bumper for this bit.you will also need to take off the rear wheel on the drivers side and the plastic splash guard inside the wheel arch to gain access to the other end of the vent pipes, they go to a small plastic tank above the filler flap use jubilee type clips to secure both ends of each pipe:cool

·
Registered
97 Posts
in halfords you have to ask at the parts counter and they will cut you the length you need from a reel. it's no good buying it in metre lengths because you will only have to join them together, thereby doubling the risk of a leak and the cost of jubilee clips, you will also need cable ties (zip ties) to keep it all tidy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.