BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
was just wondering if the 318is came with an lsd out of the factory? tbh when driven sometimes it feels like an open diff and sometimes it doesnt. Can anyone enlighten me on this subject?
cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was an option but quite rare I think.

Three ways to check...

1, Jack up the rear of the car off the ground turn one wheel and see if the other turns the same way.

2, Drive into a field, nail it and see if you make a number 1 or 11 lol.

3, On the diff there should be a number if there is an 'S' on there it will be a LSD mate.

Hope that helps.

Lee

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've done plenty of wheel spins (by mistake due to crossing a busy junction in a rush) lol

Does this mean i have LSD? :S mines a 1993 318is

·
Registered
9 Posts
It was an option but quite rare I think.

Three ways to check...

1, Jack up the rear of the car off the ground turn one wheel and see if the other turns the same way.

2, Drive into a field, nail it and see if you make a number 1 or 11 lol.

3, On the diff there should be a number if there is an 'S' on there it will be a LSD mate.

Hope that helps.

Lee
Will Number 1 & 3 above not be a better 'safer' method of checking rather than doin a burnout ? :thumbsup

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep, not many people can jack the whole rear end of the car off the ground though. I guess that only leaves option 3, but my car is 15 years old. think its going to be easy looking for a letter s? lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Will Number 1 & 3 above not be a better 'safer' method of checking rather than doin a burnout ? :thumbsup
Lol yeah but finding any of writing on the tags is normally impossible, and jacking the car up is time consuming. Only need to do a quick cheeky burnout somewhere safe and out the way to see, saves pissing about.

Ignore this advice if you have no idea how to do a burnout however lol. Dont want anyone wheelspinning off into a wall.

If you want to jack up both wheels slide a trolley jack under the rear and jack on the diff carrier.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Excuse me if this is stupid.
But basically if a wheel spins a lsd will put power to the other wheel. So if you jack one side of a car up and cant get the rear wheel to spin, then is that car not fitted with a lsd???? :confused

·
Registered
78 Posts
You are right but with the issue that most older bm lsd's are worn and can open up a bit. I have had a few that would turn one wheel with the other on the floor just with more resistance than an open diff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts