BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right then as some of you know i have had cambelt problems this weekend.

i would like to know what engines will fit in my 93 316 as a direct swap.

i just want it to bolt straight in pretty much, can i use any 316 engine (90-00) ?

do i have to stick with something pre september 93 (belt driven not chain?)

or will all 316`s fit in there?

318`s ?, 320`s?

i would be happy if i could find out if a chain driven 316 would fit, but im not immune to a bit more power if its an easy swap.

any advice is welcomed.:thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Any E36 engine will fit mate:thumbsup

Just be sure you stick to a replacement that is no newer than a 1994 as you may end up with an EWS version:frown

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
but if i stick to an early 316 i wont need the loom? right?
The loom should come with the replacement engine anyway, if it doesn't then it means you have to remove yours from your engine and fit it to the replacement which is unnecessary agro:thumbsup

The engine loom plugs into the vehicle loom on the passenger side of the engine bag.

·
Registered
72 Posts
so if i go and get an engine out of an r reg it will have the engine loom with it to plug straight into my exsisting veichle loom but i will need to get the donor cars ecu as well and plug that into my cars exsisting veichle loom as well and it should work.

im very sorry if i sound green about all this but myself and my brother changed an engine in a golf many years ago and we had to start pulling the veichle loom apart, needless to say the car never ran again so i am bricking myself about this.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
so if i go and get an engine out of an r reg it will have the engine loom with it to plug straight into my exsisting veichle loom but i will need to get the donor cars ecu as well and plug that into my cars exsisting veichle loom as well and it should work.

im very sorry if i sound green about all this but myself and my brother changed an engine in a golf many years ago and we had to start pulling the veichle loom apart, needless to say the car never ran again so i am bricking myself about this.
You will need a pre '94 cambelted engine. After '94 they were timing chain. Im not 100% but the loom will be slightly different on the later engine.
You will need an M40 engine :thumbsup
Any questions PM me and ill get back to you ASAP :thumbsup
I would pull the head off first and see how many valves are bent and see what the piston crowns are like, then make a choice :cool

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.