BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title suggests I can't get into the boot of my E36, backseats has solid wall behind it.

I think the problem may have started when I put a new battery in at Christmas, not 100% sure. All central locking on doors works but can't even here anything at the boot and the key doesn't even attempt to turn. Tried sprayin some WD40 in it to no avail.

Any help out there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many keys do you have for the car? and does the one you are using work in the glovebox?
Only have one, never checked it in the glovebox.

But spoke to a mechanic he says sometimes putting in a new battery triggers the central locking so I've to try disconnecting and connecting the battery a few times.

·
Registered
49 Posts
BMW supplied a few keys with the car, one of which will only open the doors and ignition, i.e. a valet key with no access to the glove box or boot. If it works in the glove box it is safe to assume it should also work in the boot lock and is a 'proper key' not a valet one.

I had the same problem with my boot a few months ago. Tried WD40 also and that didn't work... at first. Try applying WD-40 a little each day and 'wiggle' the key in the lock without applying too much force... you don't want to snap the key off in there! It worked for me after a few days of this and I've never had a problem since? I think it started because I dead locked the boot, then it took a while for it to unlock fully again. I've tried not to dead lock it since to prevent it from happening again. However when I have dead locked it it's has opened again fine?? Can't say what the cause is but patients and perseverance worked for me! Good luck!

Reactions: Ronnie

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I expect the wiring has broken at the boot hinge hence the non operating boot central locking, common problem on e36s.

I would try what jjmurphy21187 details above, if no luck then post back

·
Platinum BFuk Member
153 Posts
Just thought I'd say incase anyones unsure, the valet key never had a straight line cut all the way up the key in the middle as the normal keys did and also was (as far as I've seen) only ever supplied as all metal with no plastic at the top where you hold the key. I know I'm probably teaching grandma how to suck eggs but I'm hoping someone found it useful!! ;)

·
Platinum BFuk Member
153 Posts
They do valet keys with plastic tops on e36s :thumbsup

But you are correct on the line not being cut down the key :thumbsup
I knew someone would prove me wrong!!! :rofl i've only ever seen the metal ones, maybe I've been playing with the older cars to long!! :thumbsup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts