BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there guys am new to the forum. just got myself my second e36, 325 tds and was wondering if anyone knew how to fit a dump valve?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seems to be pretty negative feed back for putting one on so will maybe just leave it, thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
dont think dump valve make much of a noise on a Diesel do they? i wouldnt bother to be honest!!!!
Will make more noise on a derv! That's all you'll get though, there's no other benefits. If you do get one you'll hve to make sure it's up to the boost the car is producing. Tried one on my old 306 running 22psi boost and it was the equivelent of a huuuuge boost leak!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Diesel dump valve is impossible unless its a Derv Doctor one which is electric.

On a petrol turbo. The turbo boosts and when you close the throttle or lift off that excess bost creates a vaccum and opens the dump valve.

On a diesel the boost is re-used IE not wasted. So making a hole will, as said above, give you a major boost leak. They dont use butterfly throttles either so there is no vaccum to open it hence the reason your brake master cyl uses a seperate vaccuum pump on a diesel.

So in conclusion dont fit it, it will just release much needed boost.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
as said above a diesel is on a low pressure system and it recirculates any un-needed boost back to the inlet and fittting a atmos dv will cause problems with the maf and o2 sensors aswel

Reactions: 31chael

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've heard somewhere before that dump valves shouldn't be fitted to diesels either?

Anyway you won't gain any benefits from it unless you have a bigger turbo/running higher boost etc. All you'll get is the sound, if thats what you want..

:thumbsup
hows it going sham? long time no see... got my turbo painted matt grey now.. :D

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
More than possible with a twin piston valve that can handle bigger boost than petrols. As said is controlled by a microswitch on throttle that can be bought for pennies (The derv doctor..not that great imo, wanted to charge me over £200 for something that took me 15 minutes to do myself..). So when you close the throttle it activates the valve. Bit pointless though as you say, especially on a classy Bimmer!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah many of the 'felt spec' cars round my way are alldervs fitted with straight through exhausts which give a pooooooow noise when you shift basically the same as a dump valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 31chael

·
Registered
701 Posts
my little input on this is if your after doing it mate try it. i used to have a derv doctor one on my 306td (which i didnt fit) and it was decent tbh. didnt change much on the running side of things just made a nice tishhhhh noise lol. ive heard some bad diesel kits too thou. alot of them chatter rather than a straight nice noise

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah thats what am worried about mate. think am not going to do it now, disco stu's comment
Bit pointless though as you say, especially on a classy Bimmer!
changed my mind lol

·
Registered
701 Posts
i suppose if you where bringing some big bhp on a petrol one it would be a different matter. im a huge fan of dump valves dont know why.
it would be unique like

1 - 20 of 25 Posts