BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, i really need some help with my 325 still refusing to start.

this is totally random as i have never had a problem with the car starting before, it always started first time every time untill around 3 weeks ago it wouldnt start and still hasnt :(

the car had not been started in around 2 weeks at this point......

it turns over and the fan and belts spin but just wont fire up....

i couldnt hear the fuel pump priming so i have since put a brand new fuel pump relay in and a second hand working fuel pump but she still wont start.....

I am def getting fuel now to the engine and the spark plugs are only about 1,000 miles old so they should be fine.

what is going on with my car??

could giving it a push and bump-start help???? im just thinking the starter motor may be sticky now as she hasnt been started for a few weeks????

some one please help as im struggling not being with a car now for almost a month.....

dan.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the ground is def tight, how can i check for spark at the plugs??

·
Registered
190 Posts
the ground is def tight, how can i check for spark at the plugs??
Spark fuel timing
lift a coil and use a plug resting on the metal head ( with coil plugged on) to see if it has a fat blue spark when cranked , be careful as it wll hurt if you touch it when cranking , can you hear the fuel pump working for a second when you switch n ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had a similar issue on my 328i... seems it was due to a snapped cable tie by the airbox to (i think!) airflow meter. is ok once it's warm but really affected it when cold.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
As atec says start with the spark test. Then check that the DME isnt water soaked- have you had a lot of rain where you are recently? Does the car have an imobiliser?

Youll know if the started motor isnt engaging as the engine wont turn over.

It could be something like a crank sensor but you need to do a bit of investigation first.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers guys i will check the spark later!! tho im sure the spark is ok... its weird this has just happened, the car starts one day then suddenly it wont......

it has got an imobiliser, could this be stuck on??

the dme is the relay next to the fuel pump isnt it??

does anyone know where the crank sensor will be on an m50 engine??

dan.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
What immobiliser is it that you have fitted? Is it a BMW factory item or after market?

The crank sensor is by the bottom crank pulley funnily enough! Jack the car up and support it on stands and then get underneath it. Its possible the pickup is covered in crap (the face of the sensor nearest the crank pulley) if so clean it off with a rag-

·
Registered
13 Posts
im having the same problem too... no spark & no power supply to fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuel pump fuse, dme relay.. tested fuel pump directly wired to battery its fine, once fitted it still dead.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
What immobiliser is it that you have fitted? Is it a BMW factory item or after market?

The crank sensor is by the bottom crank pulley funnily enough! Jack the car up and support it on stands and then get underneath it. Its possible the pickup is covered in crap (the face of the sensor nearest the crank pulley) if so clean it off with a rag-
E36s of 1993 vintage didn't have an immobiliser as standard. Crank sensor is a strong candidate in my book as this and the cam sensor feed the DME with the info it needs to decide when the plugs should be fired.

·
Registered
31 Posts
3 vitals, air, spark and fuel if your sure on fuel and spark then check nothing is blocked on the way in for the air, also air mass sensor stopped my old 320 starting before, ideally if you have your 3 vitals and battery and starter is ok then could do with having your car plugged into a scanner to check all sensors are ok.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
all sorted guys :):)

took me best part of the day checking fuel lines and testing i have spark etc etc but after finally making sure i had spark and fuel i had run the battery a bit flat so jumped if off my birds car and she fired up :):)

so it must have been a mixture of my old fuel pump being crap and battery running low so all good now!!

cheers for all the advice anyway guys!!

dan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts