BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do the rear bushes on the rear of my 325i but don't know what they are called to order them online, does anyone know of any diagrams/schematics online i can take a look at to work out which ones they are?

They are the ones that attatch the arm to the body closest to the front of the car, im not being cheap i will buy a haynes, but i moted it today and need to order parts tomorrow for the weekend

Thanks

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I think they are the rear trailing arm bushes you need to change, they are pretty common for failing. I just found this quick diy guide.

http://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36rtab/

I would use powerflex poly bushes because they come in two halfs and do not need pressing in :thumbsup
It can be a pain to get the old bushes out but they do come out with some force from a big hammer! :hihi

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spot on guys, they are the ones, nice one for the guide aswell. Im looking at the powerflex ones now, but there was also another guide that showed reinforcers, so im in two minds whether to get powerflex or standard with reinforcers.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Honestly mate, go for the powerflex ones. I could not believe the difference they made over the standard ones. They are a bit pricey but they tighten the rear up so much. They are also much easier to fit.:thumbsup
The only thing is that you would need a wheel alignment check/adjust after, because the trailing arm controls your toe in/toe out on your rear wheels. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just ordered them, should be here 2morrow and fitted by sat! looking forward to no more rear end rattles. Don't know where i can get the rear wheels aligned though as i live 2 hours away from the nearest city (swansea)

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I used a branch of Merit tyre. I would google it and see where there is someone local to me. I had no problems with them, they even let me watch and explained what they were checking/adjusting. :thumbsup

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Googled it and not one near me, nice 1 for the idea though.

anyway fitted the powerflex bushes on sat and it was a peice of cake to do, only took 2 hours, mainly coz the old ones basically fell out:laughing would highly recomend doing it, the back ends tighter than a ducks arse (not that i know actually how tight that is, honest)

The handing has improved greatly, but most of all that annoying rattle thats been doing my nut in for a year has gone:cheerful

thanks for the advice guys, that how to article was very usefull.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Mate, the only tools i used were a big hammer and chisel :D
Poly bushes come in two half so they dont need pressing in, makes the job so much easier. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As above, if you get powerflex they come in two halfs and press in by hand very easily, there in no need to have to press the bushes in, which i have done before and is a pain in the arse, the old ones were easy enough to push out by hand because they were so knackered, which leaves the metal sheath inside that has to be removed, it's ally i think so it's a soft metal, i got a hack saw and cut into the sheath until i was nearly all the way through (keep checking that you dont go to far into the RTA) then get a hammer and screwdriver and get the screwdriver inbetween the RTA and the sheath and try and get were you just cut with the hacksaw to snap in will then come straight out, put the new powerflex in, put it back together and job done!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: surfer4life

Just for info here is my thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1593910

How did you get on with the RTAB's??

Did it sure the banging at the back end, when going over bumps etc?

Has anyone got hte link or part number for the RTAB's for a 1995 BMW 325 E36 - looked on power flex and only came across the one for the FRONT

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products/E36+3+Series+(1990+-+1998)-203/1.html

Rear trailing arm front bush - is that the main & only one needed ??

Also with the part coming in two parts, is it a job that can be done at home on the drive etc?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts