BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1993 E36 325i - handy-man wanted in luton area for suspension job

Tags
handyman
1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  mistreku 
#1 ·
allright guys, almost done with gathering the bits for my suspension and i was wondering if there was anyone in the luton area willing to help me (at a cost, of course) fitting it, as i don't have the space, nor the tools to do it by myself. or, if someone can recommend a cheap garage in this area.. although, i think it would be cheaper to buy the tools, rather than pay at the garage for fitment. so, anyone? thanks

gabriel

p.s. car is lowered on eibach srpings right now, so those will be available after installing the new suspension. willing to give them away for free to the guy helping me. :D

#3 ·
I'd suggest phoning around a couple of local garages - although it's not 'technically' difficult, things like rusted/seized bolts etc can make it hard work with only DIY tools. I would expect you can get it done for c£200 if you shop around. Meerkat, BBBaz etc did something similar recently so take a look at their post for what's involved?

If you are starting from zero on the tools front, even a good set of spanners, socket set, trolly jack and axle stands will cost over £100? Plus rental of spring compressor, maybe angle grinder!!

My relatively new 645 Eibach fitting was 4 hours labour as some bolts were seized - and this was at a mechanic I could trust!....

#4 ·
cheers neal, only bit really concerning me is the tools part. otherwise, is pretty straight forward, i've done before. bolts i'm pretty sure will co-operate, as i just removed most of my suspension last summer and took the time to grease everything when i bolted it back. and there's no need for spring compressors, as i'll replace the whole thing, and don't need to take apart the springs and dampers. it's just that i'm lacking any tools at all at the moment, and it will probably cost a few pounds to get everything i need (jack, stands, spanners, beer, tobacco, hammock :)) ). anyway, i'll probably go down that way and buy the tools.

#5 ·
I can help you out with tools,jack stand etc and give you a hand to install them too if you like :thumbsup haven't done the front before though but am sure we could do something :cool am thinking that you still need spring compressors for the front though...no? also when do you need to do it because I am working the weekend

#6 ·
that would be greatly appreciated mate! :thumbsup about those compressors, i'm pretty sure i won't need them, i'll take a look again, but i'm 99% sure i won't need to remove the springs. we'll do it whenever you say it's right, except for tomorrow, coz i'm working. if you're working on weekend, and i'll be working tomorrow, how'bout friday? would that be ok with you?

#11 ·
heh, sure will seb! :hihi

Fronts are easy enough to do. If you have standard springs makes life easier to remove from the car with spring compressors. I take it you have new top mounts e.t.c
yep, i have both the coilies and top mounts for front and rear. that's why i said i won't need to remove the springs. :thumbsup

#12 ·
all right, after a whole day, i finally managed to fit the coilovers and the other bits on the car. BIG thanks to Stk, who was kind enough to bear with me and help me through the whole day! still have to adjust camber on all 4 wheels, and maybe soften a bit the front coils, as they're pretty compressed right now, but for the moment, i'm very satisfied with the results! :hihi here's a few pics:

#16 · (Edited)
thanks guys, really happy with the way it turned out! here's the pics before adjusting the rear end... :hihi bit of a dragster, init?

btw, i have a set of 4 genuine eibach springs, if anyone needs it.. car was sitting pretty low on it. you'll have to collect them from luton, thought.

Reactions: xXxStKxXx
#17 ·
Looking decent mistreku :cool :cool

Nice one Steve on giving a helping hand (thats what the forums all about :)) :thumbsup

You picked a scortcher of a day as well! ;)

#18 ·
really owe one to steve for it, especially since i kept him from 11:00 till 20:00! top man! :thumbsup couldn't do it without him!

and also owe one to the forum, so will make a donation to the forum as well.

#20 · (Edited)
all right, lads, it's now confirmed: coillies work brilliant, just took the car for a spin. really, really happy with the way it turned out, not speedbump problems (@3mph though), corners like a dream, and it's not as stiff as i expected it to be. it's excellent! best mod i ever had! :thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.