BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys,

Firstly, sorry for just joining because i have a problem, i really appreciate any responses! My car is a 1993 325i Coupe, all standard.... I had been driving it fine, started and stopped 5 times throughout the day, then i parked it at the scrap yard of all places, was ten minutes. When i got back in it, all it did was turn over, wouldn't start. Initially i thought it was something to do with the alarm, so i locked it, unlocked it and tried again, still nothing. Then moved onto the fuses and relays, being in the scrap yard proved quite handy as they had a 328 there of the same year so i was trying relays from that but to no avail.

We then realised we couldn't hear the fuel pump, so removed the rear seat, fuel pump wasn't doing a thing, the sender unit was still working because when we pulled it out of the tank and moved the lever the gauge changed, but the pump itself seemed dead, we tried another and that was the same. At this stage, we put it all back together and towed it to my local con-artist (garage) where it was remained for the last two weeks.

They say they have tried reading the codes but its not coming up with anything and he also said there is no spark and he thinks its something to do with the immobiliser.

Please help me!

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Also, if the engine is cranking, then it's not the immobilizer (Assuming it hasn't got an aftermarket alarm).

I'd go with gildersol on this.... Check the DME.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If there is no fuel & spark it sounds immobilised.
What alarm is fitted? If you know I would do some homework on how it immobilises the car, if it shuts off fuel and spark id almost certainly say its that.
Have u checked for spark yourself?
Try bypassing the immobiliser and running a live to the fuel pump, for christs sake make sure you dont cause a fire tho!
See if it fires up - excuse the pun.

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
If you know I would do some homework on how it immobilises the car, if it shuts off fuel and spark id almost certainly say its that.
You need to do your homework ;)

If the EWS is active, then it disables spark, fuel AND starter motor !

As his car is cranking, I suspect it won't be the EWS... But we need to know if the car has an aftermarket alarm fitted or just the standard one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You need to do your homework ;)

If the EWS is active, then it disables spark, fuel AND starter motor !

As his car is cranking, I suspect it won't be the EWS... But we need to know if the car has an aftermarket alarm fitted or just the standard one.
Ill do my homework if you read mate lol
I didnt say it was the EWS as he said it cranks... Although I did ask what alarm is fitted :hihi
My car will still crank if it is immobilised but will not spark or power the fuel pump...

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
The 1st versions of EWS (I suppose you could call it EWS Zero) was only used from 9/93 to 12/93. This only cancelled fuel & spark but not the starter.

EWS I came in during 1/94 and added the starter immobilisation feature

If this is an early 1993 car it won't have any kind of factory immobiliser. Before 9/93 there was literally nothing!

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Drive Away Protection, Billy.

And your right, EWS I started in 94, not 93 like I thought. So I take it back, it could be the 'Drive Away Protection' at fault depending on when it was made.

My apologies !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like the drive away protection signal is not active high for the DME to start the car. OP, this signal is also controlled by the GM module so may want to look at that as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow guys, thank you so much for the responses! Before i knew it had no spark, i read online and checked both the dme relay and the fuel relay, i have swapped these with a working car and it makes no difference. Im assuming the EWS is the alarm system, my car was registered on the 23rd Jan 1993, so shall i conclude from whats been written that it has no immobiliser action (as in fuel / spark cut off) ?

I haven't checked the spark myself, no the car is currently stuck outside the garage so i haven't had much time to 'fiddle' myself. Also it is just a completely standard bmw alarm, its the older single button alarm fob if that helps...?

So whats this drive away protection?

I really appreciate all your help - thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, Since the last updates, i have towed my car back to outside my house and had a guy come out with a fault code reader - it came up with error "66 Anti-theft device signal" so from a bit more reading im concluding that its now to do with the Double lock from the drivers door lock. Also, i've concluded it has the GM IV alarm system, it was too early for EWS (I hope this is right, im pretty sure.) So, does anyone know how i can either generate the correct signals that should come from the door lock to tell the GM IV/DME that the car is unlocked or just remove the system completely?

It is really starting to get me down having my lovely car sat outside, dead! :-( not to mention the car tax just sat there going out of date lol.

So, seriously, ice cold beer for whoever can help me :)

Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like the drive away protection signal is not active high for the DME to start the car. OP, this signal is also controlled by the GM module so may want to look at that as well.

I wish i knew what you were talking about when you wrote this, its been a few weeks of trawling through the internet to actually understand whats going on when i lock/unlock my door. I think you are bang on, now any ideas how to get it fixed?

Thanks in advance lol :thumbsup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For anyone who is interested, i have had a guy come out, spend nearly 7 hours wiring "out" the immobilisor. The car now starts fine and runs without issue - even tho the immobbilisor / Drive Away Protection still thinks the car is locked and unable to start. It was a great shame no one knew how to fix the fault - i'd have much rathered get it repaired instead of butchering it to make it work.

At least i didn't have to scrap it, which was my next port of call!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have a problem with my 1993 bmw e36 320i coupe after doing a head gasket on the car won’t start. The ecu dose not see the engine speed. The crank sensor is new and the camshafts sensor is new also the ecu, all wires check out fine. The coil packs and fuel injectors how 12v however nothing happens after that. It cranks and cranks and the fuel pump primes and has good pressure. All fuses are check and relay and all of them are fine.
Please can anyone help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts