BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting one to upgrade the normal one i have... are they worth it? i mean the original is just as good....

Also if i did, are they hard to Retrofit?

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
lots of views... any answers?
Give people chance, someone will reply in time.

Anyway, I was under the impression that all E36's were fitted with the mirror from factory. It's possible your's is faulty, or has been replaced.

I'd start by looking for some wiring around that area under the headlining.

Failing that, it should be quite simple to installed - Probably just a 12v feed on ignition. I'd have to look at the wiring diagrams closer to give a definite answer, but first check for any existing wiring.

·
Registered
701 Posts
yeah i reccomend also as they do work and quite well. my mates lights are bright as hell and hes normaly behind me when we go for drives. i can see nothing but bright light in my side veiws but the rear is nice and dark i can almost see the bulbs lol

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
How tricky are they to wire in? and do they fit on the original 'twist'n'pull' metal part of the screen?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The only downside to the auto dimming mirror is that you end up constantly wondering if the car behind is a Police car. It's almost impossible to make out much detail of cars following behind at night.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
you dont realise how good it actually is until you drive a car that doesnt have it. Kind of weird when you first get it as a car behind is often just headlights until it stops behind you at the lights. Its only then that you spot the uniforms of the coppers that have followed you for 5 miles.

Joling aside though, I wouldn't want to be without it now.

edit. just noticed somebody else alluded to the following police car aspect. I am kind of glad to see I am not alone with that niggle.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Easy to fit, just twist the old mirror off, put the new one on, cut a small piece of fabric out of the roof lining behing the interior light, then there are 3 wires:

purple/white - Ignition Live

brown/orange - Earth

blue/yellow - Feed from reverse light (switches it off when reversing)

20mins to install, i took the reverse light feed from the wiring to the rear lights, saves tracing a cable all the way to the reverse light switch on the gearbox:thumbsup

I've got 3 or 4 of these tucked away in the garage, let me know if you're still after one:thumbsup

·
Registered
241 Posts
edit. just noticed somebody else alluded to the following police car aspect. I am kind of glad to see I am not alone with that niggle.
Same here lol

Easy to fit, just twist the old mirror off, put the new one on, cut a small piece of fabric out of the roof lining behing the interior light, then there are 3 wires:

brown/orange - Earth

20mins to install, i took the reverse light feed from the wiring to the rear lights, saves tracing a cable all the way to the reverse light switch on the gearbox:thumbsup

I've got 3 or 4 of these tucked away in the garage, let me know if you're still after one:thumbsup
^^ As said, easy to fit, I've got an E46 one in mine lol, same thing, I have the big clown nose thing though =/

I haven't wired in the reverse function, i dont use the rear view when reversin, espec at night. Was thinking of wiring it to a push switch though, to eliminate the above problem.

·
Registered
221 Posts
the police being behind me dont bother me because i'm legal and stick to the speed limits :) the only reason i have been pulled over in the past was for wheel spinning a 2 litre vauxhall nova right behind a police car lol it goes to show you have to be pretty blatant about doing something wrong or they wont touch you.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
the police being behind me dont bother me because i'm legal and stick to the speed limits :)
None of us break the law, we are all law abiding citizens on the forum and the police never treat you like you are taking the mickey when they stop you, even if your tail light or indicator really did fail without you noticing.

In fact, now I come to think of it, I am wondering why I drive such a large engined gas guzzler when I obviously never do anything silly enough to justify it, I just remembered the fastest speed I can legally do over here is 70mph. I think I might go and part ex against one of those little sub 1 litre engined thingies, think they are called Hyundais, or maybe a chevrolet? A 2cv would do. Do they all have electrickery type auto dimming mirrors, it might be a deal breaker :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think it's the fact that you just can't tell what's behind you that creates this paranoia that it might be the Police just waiting to pull us over. I've nothing to hide from the Police. Car in tip top legal condition, tax, insurance, good tyres, clean licence for the last 10yrs. I even overtook a marked Police car on a country road that was doing 40mph in a 50mph limit a couple of years ago - that's how much I'm not normally bothered by them. But at night the dimmed rearview mirror makes me feel like my vision is impaired or something. It's the not knowing that makes it hard to relax.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
Bought the wife a Daewoo Matiz 800cc. It makes I Larf when I open the bonnet, looks like it came in a Kinder Egg :p
That just made me chuckle!! :hihi

Back on subject - highly recommend the auto dim rear view mirror, much safer driving... :thumbsup

·
Registered
137 Posts
yeah i reccomend also as they do work and quite well. my mates lights are bright as hell and hes normaly behind me when we go for drives. i can see nothing but bright light in my side veiws but the rear is nice and dark i can almost see the bulbs lol
are you side mirrors not tinted? mine are!

·
Registered
13 Posts

brown/orange - Earth

mess

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have been looking to do this upgrade as my other car has an auto dimming mirror and I would not be without it.
Would the auto dimming mirror work in my 1994 325i? If so I would be intested in buying one of your spare mirrors, if that is ok?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts