BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i have raised some money I would like to drop a 540 v8 into my coupe and basically i need to know what parts i can retain and what i will need to change sorry it seems a stupid question.

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,008 Posts
when i have raised some money I would like to drop a 540 v8 into my coupe and basically i need to know what parts i can retain and what i will need to change sorry it seems a stupid question.
Need to speak to Ralph as he got into this then bought a M5 instead, but I believe he'd have the answers you need :thumbsup

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
The main problem is the sump is too big. People have done a semi bodge job by lowering the subframe although it's not a great way of dealing with it.
Alpina has a new sump and oil pump made up especially to fit it.
There is a B8 parts catalogue in my forum section which lists all the bits needed to convert an e36 to a B8.
Prices for the Alpina parts would be extortionate, and most likely if they do have a few sump knocking around, they'll be saving them for a B8.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
The 325's block lends itself well to turbo charging - probably a cheaper project in the long run - with potentially more power. :thumbsup

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
hi hope you got deep pockets mate:frown

you will need the following

Engine £500.00
engine mounts, alpina £330.00 each
sump and oil pick up ( £ alpina £650 + £150.00)
abs moved to front of engine bay
evo 6 speed box, clutch & flywheel (£1300.00)
evo prop
evo rear end £400.00
uprated shocks and springs
brakes 4 or 6 pot (£500.00
Exhaust headers and evo back box

i could go on and if you need any further info mate drop me a pm:thumbsup

·
Registered
293 Posts
I looked at this myself, indeed I bought Ralphs v8 off him to put in my Z3, similar engine bay to the e36

Problems
The M60/M62 sump - its not big, it just has its pickup at the front and not the rear. This clashes with the front x-member and causes install issues. The engine can be dry sumped, but its costly
Gearbox - if you want to go manual it’s a nightmare to try and find a box. Very expensive and rare . £500 +. E34 530 v8 box or 540 manual 6 speed. Only the earliest 6 speed evo boxes fit, as the later ones have a different bellhousing (I found this out to my cost)
Clutch and flywheel are rare and costly
540 rear diff is unique to the car, so you need to source something suitable

I changed my mind and sold the bmw engine.
I have now gone for a Ford V8, rear sumped, easy fit, been done before by a few people (well on e36's)
Ford is cheaper, gearbox easy and extremely tunable to 500hp or more

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like a turbo is a far more viable option and thanks for the advice guys and not just calling me a clueless idiot lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
:sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
I've start this project but using a v8 twin turbo for more excitement.
Sump n oil pump are looking at the biggest hardle, followed by new manifold and turbo positions. Around the right hand drive steering column.

Pic of it at the moment, I hope to get the engine mounted Tom night. Why oh why did I do this.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts